Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I've read in some books that we should use Different from, instead of Different than. But recently, I've just found a story with this sentence:

I'm different now than I was then.

So I am wondering which one I should really use.

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
'Than' is used more in AmE than in BrE. Both are fine

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
not_a_teacher_button.png

different from than - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
There is little difference in sense between different from, different to, and different than, and all have been used by respected writers. Different from is traditionally held to be the correct collocation, and is by far the commonest in written evidence; different than, which is often criticized, is largely restricted to North America.

Definition and pronunciation of different | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary
different from / to / than

Different from is the most common structure in both British English and North American English. Different to is also used in British English: Paul’s very different from/to his brother.This visit is very different from/to last time.

In North American English people also say different than: Your trains are different than ours.You look different than before.

Before a clause you can also use different from (and different than in North American English): She looked different from what I’d expected.She looked different than (what) I’d expected.

Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary
usage In both U.S. English and British English, one person or thing is said to be different from another. Different is also often followed by than in U.S. English. Some people believe that different than is incorrect, but it is very common. In British English, different can be followed by to. Different to is not used in U.S. English.
▪ The old house looks different from what I remember. = (Brit) The old house looks different to what I remember. = (US) The old house looks different than I remember.

different definition | English Dictionary & Thesaurus | Reverso
In British English, people sometimes say that one thing is different to another. Some people consider this use to be incorrect.
My approach is totally different to his.
People sometimes say that one thing is different than another. This use is often considered incorrect in British English, but it is acceptable in American English.
We're not really any different than they are.

different from/than
different from/to/than
Different rules from/than now?
Different than vs. different from vs. different to
different than/from

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Note that simply replacing "than" with "from" would be incorrect in this particular example.

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
I'm different now from what I was then.
I'm different now to what I was then.

Correct?

Yura Reiri

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I'm different now from what I was then.
I'm different now to what I was then.

Correct?
Yes, I am thinking that the second sentence shows how ' different from' should be used.

I was just really confused by what I read that Different than shouldn't be used, when it actually applies to some sentences.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, I am thinking that the second sentence shows how ' different from' should be used.

I was just really confused by what I read that Different than shouldn't be used, when it actually applies to some sentences.
I agree. I also think sunsunmoon's sentences are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.