success tends to distort reality in an attempt to replicate itselft in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does "success tends to distort reality in an attempt to replicate itselft in the future" mean "the successful person also tries to make success again in the future"? For example, if you are president of a country, you'd like to be elected again in the next presidential election? And why does it motivate you not to trust what others say?

pr24
ex)Most people lose their ability to think independently when face-to-fact with high success. They agree to things they would not otherwise consider, for instance. Partly this may be blamed on a deep human tendency for imitation, and when the object is distinguished success, we wish to imitate it even more. Moreover, highly successful people also suffer from not being able to trust what people say to them - not because their supporters intentionally lie but because success tends to distort reality in an attempt to replicate itselft in the future. If you are extremely successful, most people agree with you, no matter what you say, or at least they will not readily criticize.
Their opinions are colored by your opinions and thus not reliable. This is a bad recipe for the continuation of success. You must take drastic action so that your past success does not entirely cloud the attitude and advice of people around you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think it's so clear-cut- the incumbent has an advantage that the other candidate has to fight. Highly successful people may be surrounded by biased people who want further success.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It's really obsure, but I felt that people around a successful man are so overwhelmed by his charismatic authority that they yield even to what he says wrong. Even if he says a wrong thing, they yield to it just to brownnose him or hoping for success. And in return, the successful person can't see reality because of people's wrong response to his wrong doings. This is what I felt. If you have further opinions, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.