Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What does "withdrawn" mean in the following in the context?

More than a quarter of the veterans refused to take the drugs, and it is not known what happened to the improvement of those who agreed to take the drugs when they were withdrawn. In another study, antidepressant drugs produced some relief, but at the end of treatment 64% of the drugged group and 72% of the placebo group still had PTSD.

Thank you.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
What does "withdrawn" mean in the following in the context?

More than a quarter of the veterans refused to take the drugs, and it is not known what happened to the improvement of those who agreed to take the drugs when they were withdrawn. In another study, antidepressant drugs produced some relief, but at the end of treatment 64% of the drugged group and 72% of the placebo group still had PTSD.

Thank you.

I guess "withdraw" here means when they stopped taking the drugs

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
***neither a teacher nor a native-speaker**

Well, the more context would be of more help. But from what we got here, I only can say that it has two possible meaninings.

The soldiers have been withdrawn fromm the active duty because they were wounded and thus; traumatized.
or,
They are going through withdrawn behavior as a result of the trauma as I've mentioned above.(meaning that they isolate themselves from others)

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Oh, yes it probably refers to the time when they were withdrawn from the service.
Although, I still think it could also be stopping taking drugs..It's not very clear.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you all for the answer.

If "withdrawn" means "stopping taking drugs", I don't understand what the sentence "... those who agreed to take drugs when they stopped taking drugs" is saying. It doesn't seem logical to me.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you all for the answer.

If "withdrawn" means "stopping taking drugs", I don't understand what the sentence "... those who agreed to take drugs when they stopped taking drugs" is saying. It doesn't seem logical to me.

PTSD Guidebook: Withdrawn Behavior

Check the link for withdrawn behavior.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Yes, that is what I meant.
They stopped taking the drugs because they were not provided anymore by the programme or whatever it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.