Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My friend asked me why I gave up working part-time in a Starbucks. I said to him “You must provide at least 16-20 hours per week as working time there and you also need obey the arrangement of the working time”.

Intended meaning: If I work as a part-timer in a Starbucks here, I need to work at least 16-20 hours per week. Also, I can’t decide the most suitable days for me to work. Let’s say, for example, I want to work in the weekdays because I need to teach at weekends, but if I work in a Starbuck, I might work at weekends because others might be busy at weekends and I need to substitute for him. I can’t decide the days I want to work for.

Is my italic sentence natural?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would say:

You must be prepared to work at least 16-20 hours a week on days fixed by the management, on which you have no say.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sorry, no. You could say "You have to work at least sixteen hours a week and you have to accept the schedule your manager decides on."

"At least sixteen to twenty hours" doesn't make sense, though you'll often hear native speakers say that kind of thing. "At least" should be followed by the minimum.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Sorry, no. You could say "You have to work at least sixteen hours a week and you have to accept the schedule your manager decides on."

"At least sixteen to twenty hours" doesn't make sense, though you'll often hear native speakers say that kind of thing. "At least" should be followed by the minimum.
I also read ted's version just now, which sounds a bit impolite. I remember when I asked the manager there, he was very friendly to tell me that.

Much appreciated!

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
My friend asked me why I gave up working part-time in a Starbucks cafe.
or
My friend asked me why I gave up working part-time in Starbucks.

I said to him “You must [STRIKE]provide[/STRIKE] work at least 16-20 hours per week [STRIKE]as working time[/STRIKE] there, and you can't pick/choose your days. [STRIKE]also need obey the arrangement of the working time”.[/STRIKE]

Intended meaning: If I work as a part-timer in Starbucks, [STRIKE]here,[/STRIKE] I need to work at least 16-20 hours per week. Also, I can’t decide the most suitable days for me to work. Let’s say, for example, I want to work [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] on weekdays because I need to teach at weekends. [STRIKE]but if I work in a Starbuck, I might work at weekends because others might be busy at weekends and I need to substitute for him.[/STRIKE] That's not possible. I can’t decide the days I want to work on. [STRIKE]for.[/STRIKE]

See above.

Status
Not open for further replies.