[Grammar] Can we mix tenses in a sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We have had several enquiries recently about mixing tenses. Some learners appear to be under the impression that only one tense can be used for all the verbs in one sentence. This is just not so. There is no restriction on what tenses we can use and mix, if they are appropriate for the context:

I have heard that Emma left Manchester this morning, and has already arrived in London, where she will be/she will be staying for the next three weeks while she is finishing her dissertation.

She (had) hoped that she would be able to complete it before she left England next month but it is proving more difficult than she (had) expected, and she needs to be close to the British Museum if she is going to have any chance of finishing this month.

Last edited:

CaseyA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
I am not against using multiple tenses in a single sentence. I am just confused about how an "event" could be "referenced" by verbs of different tenses in the same sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Luke was late again this morning, as he often is.
He spoke, as he often does, with a mock-Irish accent.

CaseyA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
Students who are/have been of high academic caliber have always been admitted to this school.

Should the simple tense or the pseudo past tense be used for the first "be"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Should the simple tense or the pseudo past tense be used for the first "be"?
As Rover asked in another thread, pseudo past tense, what makes you think we have a pseudo-past tense here? We have present (1) and present perfect (2) forms:

Students who are (1) of high academic caliber have always been (2) admitted to this school.
Students who have been (2) of high academic caliber have always been (2) admitted to this school.

CaseyA

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
United States
So, both present and present perfect tenses could be used for the example in post #4 achieve the same meaning?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
We have had several enquiries recently about mixing tenses. Some learners appear to be under the impression that only one tense can be used for all the verbs in one sentence. This is just no so. There is no restriction on what tenses we can use and mix, if they are appropriate for the context

This one crops up so frequently that it must be taught in some places. I agree- there is no such rule. :up:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not against using multiple tenses in a single sentence. I am just confused about how an "event" could be "referenced" by verbs of different tenses in the same sentence.

Current opinion about a past event? Two references, one event.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am just confused about how an "event" could be "referenced" by verbs of different tenses in the same sentence.

I went to a party last night. While I was there I thought it was great, today I realised that it was actually pretty awful and tomorrow I will probably decide that it was the worst party I have ever been to.

One party. Three references - yesterday, today and tomorrow. Three different tenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.