Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
when someone is saying "i am out of your league", is she/he actually trying to say "you are not good enough for me" something like that, or it might be that she/he is just saying "we are not the same type"?

thanks for answering my question.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is something that truly depends upon the tone of voice and facial expression when spoken. Most of the time, when someone is described as "out of his/her league" it means that they'll never measure up to that person - he/she is too good-looking, too athletic, too smart, etc. For example, I might see a George Clooney look-alike at a party, and my friend might encourage me to go talk to him, saying "He's here alone, he didn't bring a date, go say 'hello'". And I would smile ruefully and say in a defeated tone of voice, "No way, I'm totally out of his league" meaning that I'm no supermodel and this man would never give me a second glance.

However, at that same party, if I approach a person whom I know is single and say "You should come meet Eugene, he's really nice and he's here alone" and that person looks over at Eugene, decides that he's a nerd and says "I am out of his league" in a haughty tone, accompanied by a look of minor revulsion, it indicates that this person thinks she is better looking/smarter/richer (etc) than Eugene and to befriend him would be beneath her. :-?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I take this phrase only to mean worse than (in the qualities listed by Ouisch.

Rover

kat2006

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you Ouisch. your explanation is very helpful.
and thank you Rover too.

Status
Not open for further replies.