Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello teachers,
Suppose that I am talking to my friend Alex but I see him rarely because maybe he is busy. I want to tell him, see me sometimes or visit me sometimes, because we are close friends and don't forget me.

1.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, visit me once in a while.
2.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by sometime.
3.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by sometime.
4.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, let's get together sometime.
5.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, come by and see me sometime.
6.Me: Hello Alex, long time no see, drop by and see me sometime.

I didn't know the blue ones. Some say they are good to be used in that circumstance. But what do you think
of the blue sentences? Are they correct to be used? If you were me, how would you say that?
I couldn't find a thread related to my topic.

No source/Self made
Many thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello teachers,
Suppose that I am talking to my friend Alex but I see him rarely because maybe he is busy. I want to tell him, see me sometimes or visit me sometimes, because we are close friends and don't forget me.

I didn't know the blue ones. Some say they are good to be used in that circumstance. But what do you think
of the blue sentences? Are they correct to be used? If you were me, how would you say that?

No source/Self made
Many thanks in advance.

I have put your suggested sentences above in my order of preference. There is nothing wrong with any of them. I would probably say "Hey Alex. Long time no see. We should really get together more often. Let's organise something soon".

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello teachers,

No source/Self made
Many thanks in advance.

Actually, in the context presented, I don't see that any of the "blues" are compatible with any of the "blacks". The "long time no see(s)" are typical of a greeting person-to-person i.e. face-to-face, and for that reason the "blues" would not make sense for me because they suggest a statement made when not in face-to-face contact. So, if you accept "long time no see" as a face-to-face statement, the "blues" suggest that Alex has already visited, come by, dropped by etc.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Actually, in the context presented, I don't see that any of the "blues" are compatible with any of the "blacks". The "long time no see(s)" are typical of a greeting person-to-person i.e. face-to-face, and for that reason the "blues" would not make sense for me because they suggest a statement made when not in face-to-face contact. So, if you accept "long time no see" as a face-to-face statement, the "blues" suggest that Alex has already visited, come by, dropped by etc.

I don't agree. I think they are all possible in the given context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Actually, in the context presented, I don't see that any of the "blues" are compatible with any of the "blacks". The "long time no see(s)" are typical of a greeting person-to-person i.e. face-to-face, and for that reason the "blues" would not make sense for me because they suggest a statement made when not in face-to-face contact.
I agree. Whilst I don't think any of them are technically impossible, I think that something like ems's "Hey Alex. Long time no see. We should really get together more often. Let's organise something soon" is far more likely.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't agree. I think they are all possible in the given context.

But is the "given context" really that clear? That was the reason for my "if you accept 'long time no see' as a face-to-face statement".

Status
Not open for further replies.