Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi. Is there any difference in meaning between "Moreover,..." and "Furthermore,..." placed at the beginning of the sentence?

Nyggus :cool:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Most speakers use them synonymously; some speakers don't:

moreover, beyond what has been said
furthermore, in addition to what has been said

[1] “The acceleration performance of this car model is very poor; furthermore, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”

[2] “The acceleration performance of this car is very poor; moreover, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”

In the first example, the speaker gives 'an impartial, co-equal assessment of the two inadequacies of the car model', whereas in the second example, a critical judgmental sense against the fuel consumption aspect is conveyed. The speaker’s bias shows somewhat.

SOURCE

nyggus

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Casiopea said:
Most speakers use them synonymously; some speakers don't:
moreover, beyond what has been said
furthermore, in addition to what has been said
[1] “The acceleration performance of this car model is very poor; furthermore, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”
[2] “The acceleration performance of this car is very poor; moreover, its fuel consumption is extremely high.”
In the first example, the speaker gives 'an impartial, co-equal assessment of the two inadequacies of the car model', whereas in the second example, a critical judgmental sense against the fuel consumption aspect is conveyed. The speaker’s bias shows somewhat.
SOURCE

Thanks, Casiopea. I am not sure if I undersand it well, so please correct me if necessary. In summary, I use 'furthermore' when the two issues considered are "at the same level", whereas I use 'moreover' to support the main issue (from the first sentence). Am I right? I feel I am not, in fact...

Thanks,
Nyggus :cool:

Last edited:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
The way I read, some speakers use 'Furthermore' to express something from an objective point of view, and 'Moreover' to express something from more of a subjective point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.