Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. If anyone could please take the time to look over my promotional piece below, and correct any grammar mistakes that I may have made. I've replaced names and locations with dummy-words.

- Removed to prevent text showing in Google search -

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. If anyone could please take the time to look over my promotional piece below, and correct any grammar mistakes that I may have made. I've replaced names and locations with dummy-words. I'm pretty certain using 'me and the team' is incorrect here. I'd rather use an alternative to the team and I, as I'd like to put myself at the foreground for promotional reasons.

--

Typically, for reasons of politeness, we tend to say "My team and I". If you wish to reverse the order, you can say "I, along with my team".

Last edited:

MrPaddington

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Typically, for reasons of politeness, we tend to say "My team and I". If you wish to reverse the order, you can say "I, along with my team".

Thanks Mike. And how is my use of colons, semi-colons, and commas?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi. If anyone could please take the time to look over my promotional piece below, and correct any grammar mistakes that I may have made. I've replaced names and locations with dummy-words. I'm pretty certain using 'me and the team' is incorrect here. I'd rather use an alternative to the team and I, as I'd like to put myself at the foreground for promotional reasons.

I have several comments on punctuation. No colon is needed after "complex"; it needs nothing. No semicolon is needed after IP; add "is" between "and" and "set".

I would use a comma after "Area B" instead of a semicolon.

"Parks" don't expect anything. Your penultimate sentence should be "Construction has begun, and the park is expected to be completed by late 2015".

Last edited:

MrPaddington

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks Mike. Is it totally wrong to add a colon or semi-colon after complex? I feel that it breaks the sentence up into two separate important details, rather than 'diluting' it into one.

The bit 'and set amidst' refers to all of the zones (collection). Not sure whether 'are' could be used here. That's why I left it out. But leaving it out still reads as correct English?

Also, if there's a comma after 'begun', should there not be one after 'project' too?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It it totally wrong to use a colon or semi-colon there. I could argue for using a comma. I have no idea what an "IP" is in this description.

Could you write the entire sentence the way you had envisioned it?

MrPaddington

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Mike. Can I ask that you delete my quotes in your previous posts, to prevent the full text being searchable through Google.

Hi Barb_D. Thanks for your time. I think what I have is sufficient now. Ps. IP stands for intellectual property.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For future reference, it's good practice to simply avoid posting anything you don't want others to find.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Mike. Can I ask that you delete my quotes in your previous posts, to prevent the full text being searchable through Google.

Hi Barb_D. Thanks for your time. I think what I have is sufficient now. Ps. IP stands for intellectual property.

I have deleted the text. Unfortunately, we now have a completely useless thread.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Status
Not open for further replies.