Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, guys. I don't know how to use "deserve" or "merit" correctly.
Do you feel the following sentences sound weird?

I spent good time in UK, which would be worth recalling after many year.

I had a so good time in UK that it deserved my recalling after many year and sharing with my friends.

I spent good time deserving to recall after many year in UK.

I spent good time to deserve recalling after many year in UK.

I had a good time to merit recalling after many year in UK.

I don't know what's the difference between deserve, merit and worth and how to use them correctly.
Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Have you looked the three words up in a dictionary (preferably several dictionaries)? What definitions did you find? Did they give example sentences? You need to show us that you've done your own research first.

Note that you should have used "after many years" in each of your sentences.

Soox

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thank you.

I saw the construction of "merit doing something" from the dictionary, and "doing" could be omitted.
Above sentence, I want to express: I once spent a lot of enjoyable and memorable time here, and the time is worth my recalling and sharing with others.
But I didn't express clearly my meaning when I combined two simple sentences into an attributive clauses.

I think the verb "merit" can not be used in the grammatical construction of "somebody merits doing something" or "somebody merits to do something", but I'm not sure, so I wrote the sentences above including merit and deserve.

I guess that what follows the verb "merit" should be a noun ending with "tion". Anyway, all of the example sentences given in the dictionary like this.
The case does not merit further investigation.
This plan merits careful attention.
I don't why. Is XXtion different with XXing?

I find that in most cases, the subject of a sentence using deserve as the predicate should be a person rather than something. But I'm not sure if something could be as the subject.

I had a so good time in UK , which it deserved my recalling after many years and sharing with my friends. Is the sentence"it deserved my recalling" correct in grammar?

I feel if you want to express something is considered to be important enough or meaningful for you, you must say it's worth doing something rather than deserve or merit.
However, there is a example sentence:
deserve doing something
Several other points deserve mentioning.

Could I say like this? Several other points are worth mentioning. Several other points merit mentioning.

I don't know how to use "deserve", "merit" and "worth" correctly. They have many differences and many similarities. Seeing them, I want to cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.