Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is this than was once thought? an opinion that people generally had before or the initial process of the relationship?

ex)New research, conducted with college freshmen, found that first quick judgements influenced what kind of relationships developed. The research shows that the course of a relationship may be influenced much more quickly than was once thought..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
New research, conducted with college freshmen, found that first quick judgements influenced what kind of relationships developed. The research shows that the course of a relationship may be influenced much more quickly than people once thought.[/QUOTE]

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
New research, conducted with college freshmen, found that first quick judgements influenced what kind of relationships developed. The research shows that the course of a relationship may be influenced much more quickly than people once thought.
[/QUOTE]

Thank you, but this part "what kind of relationships developed" also sounds weird.
Normally, it should be "influced the kinds of relationships that develop(developing)". Maybe it's a rare case, but I haven't seen it a lot. It it common?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, but this part "what kind of relationships developed" also sounds weird.
Normally, it should be "influced the kinds of relationships that develop(developing)". Maybe it's a rare case, but I haven't seen it a lot. It it common?
It's common, but I'd prefer "the kind of relationship that developed" in this case too.

However:
"Don't tell me what kind of books I can read" - This is normal
"Don't tell me the types of books I can read." - Not as common.
It's necessary to use "what" when there's no noun:
=> "Don't tell me what I can read." => "Don't tell me what to read."

Status
Not open for further replies.