Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I am always confused by when SHOULD I add "s" to a verb when SHOULD NOT.

As the following four sentences:

a). Returns something to somebody.
b). Return something to somebody.

c). Gets something from somewhere.
d) Get something from somewhere.

Which sentence is Right? Which is Wrong? Why it is Right? Why Wrong?

Thanks.

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

Thanks.

We add an s to simple present third person singular verbs.

Sometimes we add es, as in "goes" or "does". Note that these verbs, do and go, end with o. Those are the only examples that come to mind at this moment.

icon12.gif

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
We add an s to simple present third person singular verbs.

Sometimes we add es, as in "goes" or "does". Note that these verbs, do and go, end with o. Those are the only examples that come to mind at this moment.

icon12.gif

So, in above four sentences, how do I distinguish which is "third person singular verb"?

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina

Simple Present:
She/He/It returns something to somebody. (You add s to the verb in third person singular)

I/You/We/They get something from somewhere. (In this case you shouldn't add s)

Last edited:

PROESL

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
So, in above four sentences, how do I distinguish which is "third person singular verb"?

Well, if the verb has an "s" at the end, it's a third person singular verb, which means a pronoun used in place of a noun is he, she, or it.

icon12.gif

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Thanks.

The problem you have is that the 4 examples you have given are not complete sentences. A sentence does not start with a verb (except in the imperative!)

These sentences, if written properly, would all start with a pronoun (I, you, he/she/it, we, you, they). Once you have the pronoun, you would know when to add an "s" to the end of the verb - only in the 3rd person singular (he/she/it).

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The problem you have is that the 4 examples you have given are not complete sentences. A sentence does not start with a verb (except in the imperative!)

These sentences, if written properly, would all start with a pronoun (I, you, he/she/it, we, you, they). Once you have the pronoun, you would know when to add an "s" to the end of the verb - only in the 3rd person singular (he/she/it).

Thanks, you pointed me out the real problem that I have been ignoring before. I never add the pronoun to a sentence if it starts with a verb.

Is a person's name or a object's name or "this xxx" or "that xxx" or "which xxx" also as a "third pronoun"?

If change the verb to verb+ing, is it means the same?

As followings:

a). Return something to somebody.

b). Returning something to somebody. (In this case, should I add pronoun like "I returning ..."?)

Thanks.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks, you pointed me out the real problem that I have been ignoring before. I never add the pronoun to a sentence if it starts with a verb.

Is a person's name or a object's name or "this xxx" or "that xxx" or "which xxx" also as a "third pronoun"?

If change the verb to verb+ing, is it means the same?

As followings:

a). Return something to somebody.

b). Returning something to somebody. (In this case, should I add pronoun like "I returning ..."?)

Thanks.

With the verb in its continuous (-ing) form you need to use the verb 'to be' before it, for example; 'I am returning something', 'He is returning something', 'They are returning something.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
With the verb in its continuous (-ing) form you need to use the verb 'to be' before it, for example; 'I am returning something', 'He is returning something', 'They are returning something.

Thanks.

Are all the nouns of following form as third pronoun?

a) Mary verb(s)... (person's name)
b) The Sun verb(s)... (object's name)
b) This/That/Which Event verb(s)... (this xxx, that xxx, which xxx)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks.

The three sentences you have given are all in the third person singular, yes.
You can replace Mary with "she".
You can replace The Sun with "it"
This/that/which are all 3rd person singular uses.

I'm not sure, however, why you have put (person's/object's name) in bold as that part of the sentence has no bearing on the verb usage.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks.

Mary = she = third person singular.
The sun = it = third person singular.
This + noun = it = third person singular.
That + noun = it = third person singular.
Which is a bit different, it's a question tag.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The three sentences you have given are all in the third person singular, yes.
You can replace Mary with "she".
You can replace The Sun with "it"
This/that/which are all 3rd person singular uses.

I'm not sure, however, why you have put (person's/object's name) in bold as that part of the sentence has no bearing on the verb usage.

I am not sure the exact meaning of "why you have put (person's/object's name) in bold as that part of the sentence has no bearing on the verb usage",

In many cases, I saw some sentences do not have any pronoun, it only starts with a verb/verb(s), this is the root of my confusing.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hello fenglish

a) Returns something to somebody. :cross:
b) Return something to somebody. :tick:

Example a) is wrong because the verb returns doesn't have a subject. (Note, when there is an -s at then end of a verb, it means the verb agrees in number with its subject, for example He returns something to somebody.) Example a) doesn't have a subject, so the verb return shouldn't be inflected, have -s.

Example b) is correct because the verb return is in its base form; it's not inflected, which is its dictionary form. In other words, return is short for to return.

The same holds true for examples c) and d). It's (to) get something for someone, not gets something for someone.

Hope that helps.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello fenglish

a) Returns something to somebody. :cross:
b) Return something to somebody. :tick:

Example a) is wrong because the verb returns doesn't have a subject. (Note, when there is an -s at then end of a verb, it means the verb agrees in number with its subject, for example He returns something to somebody.) Example a) doesn't have a subject, so the verb return shouldn't be inflected, have -s.

Example b) is correct because the verb return is in its base form; it's not inflected, which is its dictionary form. In other words, return is short for to return.

The same holds true for examples c) and d). It's (to) get something for someone, not gets something for someone.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I have just googled these 3 phrases: "Works with", "Working with", and "Work with".

a). Google Keyword: Works with site:microsoft.com

Found this link which link's title is "Works with Windows Vista" : Works with Windows Vista: Technical Details

b). Google Keyword: Working with site:microsoft.com

Found this link which link's title is "Working with Windows Mail" : Working with Windows Mail - Windows Vista Help

c). Google Keyword: Work with site:microsoft.com

Found this link which link's title is "Work with clips in Windows Movie Maker" : Work with clips in Windows Movie Maker - Windows Vista Help

Now, I have below 2 questions:

1). if "Returns something to somebody" is wrong, does the "Works with Windows Vista" is also wrong?

2). What is the exact meaning of "Works with Windows Vista", "Working with Windows Vista", and "Work with Windows Vista"?

Thanks.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
if "Returns something to somebody" is wrong, does the "Works with Windows Vista" is also wrong?

It's elliptical, or short for a longer sentence:
(In order) To create an application that Works with Windows Vista, you will need ... .

The subject is an application. It agrees with the verb Works.
Hope that helps.

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's elliptical, or short for a longer sentence:
(In order) To create an application that Works with Windows Vista, you will need ... .

The subject is an application. It agrees with the verb Works.
Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Now, I have understand the usage of "verb-s".

But still have question about the usage of "verb-ing" and "to verb".

I know exactly about "Work with Windows Vista" is means "To work with Windows Vista", but not exactly about the meaning of "Working with Windows Vista", in my idea, "Working with" is the same as "Work with".

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks,

Now, I have understand the usage of "verb-s".

But still have question about the usage of "verb-ing" and "to verb".

I know exactly about "Work with Windows Vista" is means "To work with Windows Vista", but not exactly about the meaning of "Working with Windows Vista", in my idea, "Working with" is the same as "Work with".

'I work with Windows Vista' means that, in general, I use Windows Vista.
'I am working with Windows Vista' means at the moment/for this period of time, I am using Windows Vista.

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
A word that ends in -ing has several functions:

1. Working with ... could be a gerund:

• Working with Windows Vista is easy.
  • Here is a How-to guide on Working with Windows Vista.
In the first example, the phrase in bold functions as the subject of the verb is. In the second example, it functions as the object of the preposition on. The phrase Working with Windows Vista is headed by the gerund Working, and for the reason it's called a gerundival phrase.

Gerunds look like verbs because they end in -ing, but they are not verbs. They occupy the subject or object positions in a sentence, which makes them nouns:

• I like swimming. <object of the verb like>
  • Swimming is fun. <subject of the verb is>
  • Here is a How-to guide on Working with Windows Vista. <object of the preposition on>

Like verbs, however, gerunds can take objects:

• I don't like swimming with you. <its object is with you>
  • I like working with Windows Vista. <its object is with Windows Vista>

2. Working with ... could be a present participle, as they too are nominals that end in -ing:

• I am working with Windows Vista. <present participle>
  • Working with Windows Vista How-to guide <participle; adjective>
In the first example, working is part of the present continuous verb is working, which is how it gets the name "participle": it's part of something bigger.

In the second example, Working with Windows Vista modifies the noun phrase How-to guide--it tells us what kind of guide it is: it's a "working with Windows Vista" How-to guide--and that makes it an adjective in function.

In short, the phrase Working with Windows Vista can be interpreted in several ways because ellipsis is at play there. My pick would be:

• (a How-to guide on) Working with Windows Vista

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
A word that ends in -ing has several functions:

1. Working with ... could be a gerund:

• Working with Windows Vista is easy.
  • Here is a How-to guide on Working with Windows Vista.
In the first example, the phrase in bold functions as the subject of the verb is. In the second example, it functions as the object of the preposition on. The phrase Working with Windows Vista is headed by the gerund Working, and for the reason it's called a gerundival phrase.

Gerunds look like verbs because they end in -ing, but they are not verbs. They occupy the subject or object positions in a sentence, which makes them nouns:

• I like swimming. <object of the verb like>
  • Swimming is fun. <subject of the verb is>
  • Here is a How-to guide on Working with Windows Vista. <object of the preposition on>

Like verbs, however, gerunds can take objects:

• I don't like swimming with you. <its object is with you>
  • I like working with Windows Vista. <its object is with Windows Vista>

2. Working with ... could be a present participle, as they too are nominals that end in -ing:

• I am working with Windows Vista. <present participle>
  • Working with Windows Vista How-to guide <participle; adjective>
In the first example, working is part of the present continuous verb is working, which is how it gets the name "participle": it's part of something bigger.

In the second example, Working with Windows Vista modifies the noun phrase How-to guide--it tells us what kind of guide it is: it's a "working with Windows Vista" How-to guide--and that makes it an adjective in function.

In short, the phrase Working with Windows Vista can be interpreted in several ways because ellipsis is at play there. My pick would be:

• (a How-to guide on) Working with Windows Vista

Hope that helps.

Thanks, it's great help for me.:up:

But I still have question about the usage of "noun-ing", for example, "Banking", is it the same as "Working" (verb-ing) ?

In what case we should add "-ing" to a noun?
If a noun is added with "-ing", in general, how we to understand it's meaning?

Last edited:

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
You're most welcome. :-D

But I still have question about the usage of "noun-ing", for example, "Banking", is it the same as "Working" (verb-ing)?
It depends on where the word sits in the sentence.

1. If it sits in a subject or object position, it's a gerund. You interpret it as a noun, as a thing.
  2. If it modifies a noun, it's a participle. You interpret it as an adjective. It describes the noun in more detail.
  3. If it is part of a continuous verb, it's a present participle. You interpret it as an action.

Hope that helps.

It's a question, so invert/switch the subject and its auxiliary verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.