Please help me polish the language and, espeically, the structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As professor Higgins once proclaimed, language is the most grandeur and majestic possession by the human, I have always passionate about language and what it stands for. Driven by this ungrounded passion, I often dream of being a freelance translator. Translation, helping human to bridge the gaps and to break the barrels, may be the best way to submerge yourself in language and to touch the variety of industries.
It seems translation is being crush by the unstoppable technologies these days. Simple meaning exchanges are about to be replaced by robot one day, but the soul of translation-expressing the cultures and emotion beneath-will never be beaten by the algorithm.
Being an elite freelance translator is a self-driving endeavor, which takes time and patience, as the only short cut.
If I were a freelance translator, first I would communicate thoroughly with mu clients about the job; second, research comprehensively on it; third, rehearse.
All in all, the key to being a professional translator is the thirst for knowledge and curiosity of change, whenever on or off the field.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi wulala. I advise you to rewrite the above in a clear, simple and direct manner. It has several mistakes as it is, and since you're in the business of translating, I think it would be a more useful exercise for you to try again with the above. ;-) Oh, and avoid quotes by fictitious movie characters if this is meant to be formal/semi-formal.

wulala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Really appreciate your advise, I will difinetly rewrite it. But since my writing skill is poor, could you please give me some tips?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As professor Higgins once proclaimed, language is the most grandeur and majestic possession by the human, I have always passionate about language and what it stands for.
1- I already pointed out that you should avoid quotes from movies in formal/semi-formal writing.
2- The highlighted part is a comma splice.
3- Try to be more specific about how the concept of language fascinates you.

Driven by this ungrounded passion, I often dream of being a freelance translator. Translation, helping human to bridge the gaps and to break the barrels, may be the best way to submerge yourself in language and to touch the variety of industries.
4- Look up the meaning of "ungrounded" to see why it's the wrong adjective here!
5- "Translating helps people to ..."
6- I have no idea what "break the barrels" means; avoid idioms in formal/semi-formal writing. Perhaps you meant "break down the barriers between them."
7- "... and may be the best way to immerse oneself in a language in order to learn it thoroughly ..."
8- I have no idea what "touch the variety of industries" means.

It seems translation is being crushed by the unstoppable technologies these days. Simple meaning exchanges [STRIKE]are about to be[/STRIKE] risk being replaced by robots one day, but the soul of translation-expressing the cultures and emotion beneath-will never be beaten by the algorithm.

Being an elite freelance translator is a self-driving endeavor, which takes time and patience, as the only short cut.
If I were a freelance translator, first I would communicate thoroughly with my clients about the job; second, I would research it comprehensively; [STRIKE]on it;[/STRIKE] third, I would rehearse.

All in all, the key to being a professional translator is the thirst for knowledge and curiosity [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] about change, [STRIKE]whenever[/STRIKE] on or off the field.
I don't understand the highlighted text.

Status
Not open for further replies.