Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey everybody, I want to go to Ireland as an au pair. Therefor I need a dear host family letter. I already wirte one, but I need someone how can look it up... I know, that they don't expect a perfect letter, but if you could be so kind to revise it and mybe tell me what I can do better or add?

Dear Host Family,

My name is ___. I’m 21 years old, my birthday is on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] September. I study to become a teacher one day, my subjects are English and catholic religion. For my study I have to go in a foreign country, therefore I chose Ireland. I only know Ireland from films and book, and I really looking forward to see it “in real”.
And now I want to tell you something about me and my family.
My parents are Elisabeth and Andreas. I’m an only child, but my mom has 4 sisters and by dad 1. So I grow up in a big family. And I love all of them very much and like to be with them, for birthdays, Christmas, or just so.
My godson is David-Jan. The child of my cousin and his wife. He is born in 2010 and I often look after him since then.
My hobbies are swimming, fitness and reading. I am very commit in the Catholic Church. I am an altar server since 2005 and since 2007 I’m the head of the altar server group. As the head it is my duty to organise the group session, think about what games we play, what songs we sing and to practice with the children. In our group are 15 children, at the age from 9 to 16. I like it really much to be together with them.
Since 2012 I work in a Kindergarten. I am in a group with 21 children at the age from 3 to 6. The work in the Kindergarten is really nice and helped me a lot to get ready for the au pair employment. Because there I have to changing diapers, prepare breakfast, have to play with them, sing, take care about them and comfort them when they are sad, no matter if they are sad why they are ill, or fallen down or something else. At my time in the kindergarten I also work a few years with children about the age from 1 ½ - 3 years age. I really enjoyed the time and think that I am grown with that work.
With that experience I think that I am in a good position to work as an au pair.
I said that my family is a very important part of my life, and also are my friends. I have a few friends, out of times of school, and even if we all study or do some on the work training everywhere in Germany, we try to meet at least 1 time a month, to talk and laugh together. Therefore we meet in Siegen, our home and sit down in a pub or at home of one of us. In Siegen we have lots of mountains, everywhere you want to go you have to go a hill up, or down. But we have a lot of forest here. I like that, because you go or drive a little and you are in a nature. But an the other hand, you go in the other direction and you are in the city.
I think now you know a little bit about me. You know, that I can’t mention all in this letter, and I hope that you give me the chance to tell you more about me and that I can gat to know you.
I’m looking forward to hear from you soon.

EnglishFix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Chile
Dear Host Family,

My name is ___. I’m 21 years old, My birthday is on the second of September. I am studying to become a teacher one day. My subjects are English and the Catholic religion. For my studies, I have to go to a foreign country, therefore I chose Ireland. I only know Ireland from films and books and I really look forward to seeing it for real.

Now I want to tell you something about me and my family.

My parents are Elisabeth and Andreas. I’m an only child, but my mom has four sisters and my dad had one. So I grew up in a big family. I love all of them very much and like to be with them, for birthdays, Christmas, or just for any reason. My godson is David-Jan. He is the child of my cousin and his wife. He was born in 2010 and I often look after him.

My hobbies are swimming, fitness and reading. I am very committed to the Catholic Church. I’ve been an altar server since 2005 and since 2007 I’ve been the head of the altar server group. As the head, it is my duty to organize the group sessions, think about what games we play, what songs we sing and to practice with the children. In our group are 15 children, ages 9 to16. I really like to be together with them.

Since 2012, I’ve worked in a Kindergarten. I am in a group with 21 children ages 3 to 6. The work in the Kindergarten is really nice and it has helped me a lot to get ready for au pair employment because I have to change diapers, prepare breakfast, play with them, sing, take care of them and comfort them when they are sad, no matter if they are sad because they are ill, or have fallen down or something else. At my time in the kindergarten I’ve also worked a few years with children ages 1 ½ - 3 years age. I really enjoyed the time and think that I have grown with that work.

With that experience I think that I am in a good position to work as an au pair.
I said that my family is a very important part of my life and also are my friends. I have a few friends from school and even if we are all studying or doing some work training anywhere in Germany, we try to meet at least one time a month, to talk and laugh together. We meet in Siegen, our home and sit down in a pub or at the home of one of us. In Siegen we have lots of mountains, everywhere you want to go you have to go up a hill or down one. But we have a lot of forest here. I like that because if you go or drive a little, you are in a nature. But on the other hand, you can go in the other direction and you are in the city.

I think now you know a little bit about me. You know that I can’t mention everything in this letter and I hope that you give me the chance to tell you more about me and that I can get to know you.

I’m looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just a side note - I hope you are spending more time in the diaper business when you're with the children who are 1 1/2 - 3 than with the ones from 3 -6!

I would move the part about your work experience up sooner in your letter. It's the most relevant to what you'll be doing for them.

You sound like a very friendly person and the family will be lucky to have you.

Cinderella91

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey, Thank you two!
So the letter wasn't that bad.
To your side note Barb_D: of course I have more experience with the diaper buisness in the group with the childer under 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.