Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Dear all,

I'd like to do some listening and speaking activities for a class of about 25 students. The lessons are for about half an hour and the schools policy is that I must have some Pre/While/Post activities for my lessons.

Please help!!!!

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Italy
It's not really possible or advisable to just suggest a few activities at random. What you need to do is find activities which are ideally suited to your class. That means the activities should both be of a level suited to the class and with content that the class will appreciate and relate to.

So it might be best if we knew more about the class - age, make up, ability, interests, etc and then come up with activities which would fit into their situation.

Making the class fit the activity is the wrong way around; the activity should fit the class.

Fame

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It is a grade 1 class and the theme is animals. The students are quite active and willing to speak. Please I need it urgently!!! I'm running out of time. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Fame

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I looked at it but could find anything for grade 1

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I've got no idea what "grade 1" means in terms of English ability. But for animals, a good activity is the one where you give each student a sticker with a picture of an animal on it, and they have the stick it to their forehead. They then have to guess what their own animal is from the clues that other students tell them. So for example, "it has big teeth," "it lives in the water," etc. But without knowing the exact language they know, it's quite hard to advise.

Fame

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Yes, that's exactly the kind of activity I thought of but what can you do prior to that activity and after that activity as a pre and post activity?
That's what I can't link.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Yes, that's exactly the kind of activity I thought of but what can you do prior to that activity and after that activity as a pre and post activity?
That's what I can't link.

Before the activity, you'll want to introduce new vocabulary. Since it's animals, you could play with onomatopoeias. Watch a DVD about animals?

After the activity, you might ask them to write one or two sentences about the animal they were given. Or do they not write yet at this stage?

I assume grade 1 means little kids.

How about modelling or drawing?

Not a teacher

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I don't think you need a post-activity task, because this is already a production task in which the students have a lot of freedom about what to say. So I would focus the rest of the lesson on building up to that and familiarising them with (or reminding them of) the phrases they'll be using later. The following ideas assume that the students already have a few different ways of describing animals.

Personally, I would start with some sort of revision of the animal names (a good game is one where each student is given an animal flashcard, and one student is "it" and has to hit the animal that is shouted out before the student with that card shouts out another animal).

Then you want some receptive work with the actual target language. I would do this using a grabbing game. Put about 20 random animal cards on the floor and split the students into two teams. Say a phrase, such as "they have long legs" and the students have to grab any animal with the feature you describe and bring it to you. Also make them repeat what you say for added practice.

Then you want some controlled practice of the target language that doesn't just rely on repetition. Anything that gets them saying it as you want and thinking about describing the animal.

And then finally the actual task.

But then I usually have 2 hours for my lessons. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.