Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What are PE pumps? What kind of footwear are they?

thank you

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please provide the full context for where you saw this?

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Barb is right, I'm assuming they are shoes (I could be very wrong but you haven't given us any help) and even making that assumption they could be anything from this:

rgORg.jpg

to this:

F78pa.jpg

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Could you please provide the full context for where you saw this?

Not much context as it was overheard but I did some more research and I think these are soft shoes worn by children for Physical Education.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's right.

They are also called plimsolls.

Here they are:

Plimsolls

PE means physical education.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Interesting, they all look different. So what makes a shoe not be a plimsoll or a pump?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fascinating. I know pumps only as the high-heeled, closed-toe shoes for ladies in the first picture. And I'd never even heard of a plimsoll before!

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
Interesting, they all look different. So what makes a shoe not be a plimsoll or a pump?
"Shoe" is the superordinate, or all-embracing word, which includes all types of footwear. The hyponyms of "shoe" include "sandal", "pump", "brogue". "trainer", etc. "Pump" itself can mean several things, one of which Rover_KE illustrated.

In the 1960s and 1970s it was a common word in Britsh schools for those flexible shoes worn during Physical Education lessons.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In 'The Voices of Britain' - I think that was the title (but I sold mine because though full of interesting research it was virtually unreadable, because the editors presumably thought that a meaningful transcription system would frighten off the general readership they were aiming for :-() 'plimsoll' was one of the key words they looked at. I always called them 'plimsolls', but my eldest brother (13 years older, and privately educated*; also old enough to have done National Service - so with an environment totally different from mine) called them 'pumps'. That book identified half a dozen different words used in various place, but those two are the main ones.

b

PS* But at his schools they didn't have 'PE' (or even its more rigorous fore-runner PT [Physical Training]), but 'gym' (or even maybe the now archaic 'physical jerks', or the early 20th-cent. - even perhaps 19th-cent. - 'callisthenics'); so he wouldn't have said 'PE pumps'. They were just 'pumps'.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.