Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
"In Bradford Smith met Mary Jane Featherstone, known as Polly, the daughter of a temperance lecturer. She left home and went to Bradford to take a servants job. "

What does temperance lecturer mean?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"In Bradford, Smith met Mary Jane Featherstone, known as Polly, the daughter of a temperance lecturer. She left home and went to Bradford to take a servant's job. "

Please give your threads meaningful titles. "Fear not, only believe" does not appear in your thread anywhere.

Perhaps this Wikipedia article will help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperance_movement

Fear not only believe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
Please give your threads meaningful titles. "Fear not, only believe" does not appear in your thread anywhere.
I must confess I failed to understand this. What's wrong with the thread title? Shouldn't it directly indicate what the topic is about?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
D'oh!! So it is.
My apologies!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nothing to it!

If you meant "It doesn't matter" or "That's not a problem", then "Nothing to it!" is inappropriate. It means "It didn't take any effort".

While we're on the subject of correcting you, your signature line asks for corrections. On that basis, your signature should read "Folks, I am an ESL student so don't ever hesitate to correct me, even the slightest details!" No "at" after "even". Put the exclamation mark directly after the last word of your sentence. If you want to do a smiley face, click on the :) icon in the toolbar and choose a relevant one. Don't just make it up using a colon and a bracket.

Fear not only believe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Croatian
Home Country
Croatia
Current Location
Croatia
If you meant "It doesn't matter" or "That's not a problem"
Yes, that's what I wanted to say

, then "Nothing to it!" is inappropriate. It means "It didn't take any effort".
Thanks, I will take note of it.

While we're on the subject of correcting you
I'm just curious: could this accessory sentence be reformulated like this: "While we're on the line of corecting you..." ?,
your signature line asks for corrections. On that basis, your signature should read "Folks, I am an ESL student so don't ever hesitate to correct me, even the slightest details!" No "at" after "even". Put the exclamation mark directly after the last word of your sentence. If you want to do a smiley face, click on the :) icon in the toolbar and choose a relevant one. Don't just make it up using a colon and a bracket.
Would you characterize this as a huge mistake (I'm asking since no one has warned me of it before)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, "even at" is a mistake in this context. I imagine no-one has ever picked you up on it before because most people don't actually read signature lines (and many people hide them).

No, we can't say "on the line" instead of "on the subject".

Status
Not open for further replies.