Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Didn't we go through something very similar with you a few months ago?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Didn't we go through something very similar with you a few months ago?

Yes, but it is a bit confusing for me.

They are the friends of Tim.

These all are the friends of Tim.

These two are the friends of Tim.

I am confused about these. Ever since I asked you those questions I have become more confused (although its not your fault). So, please help me.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, but it is a bit confusing for me.

They are the friends of Tim.

These all are the friends of Tim.

These two are the friends of Tim.

I am confused about these. Ever since I asked you those questions I have become more confused (although its not your fault). So, please help me.

The definite article is unnatural in all three sentences. The second should read These are all friends of Tim, unless you mean that every one of Tim's friends is in the picture or the place you're talking about. If Tim really has, say, just six friends, and all six of them are in the room or the picture, you can use a definite article.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I'm fairly sure we told you several times in that thread (and others), using "the xxx of yyy" is usually unnecessary and leads to a somewhat unnatural sentence, and certainly ones which would mark you out as a non-native speaker.

They are Tim's friends.
These are all Tim's friends.
These two are Tim's friends.

Don't make life more complicated for yourself.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
As I'm fairly sure we told you several times in that thread (and others), using "the xxx of yyy" is usually unnecessary and leads to a somewhat unnatural sentence, and certainly ones which would mark you out as a non-native speaker.

They are Tim's friends.
These are all Tim's friends.
These two are Tim's friends.

Don't make life more complicated for yourself.

Thank you EMS and Goestation. Yes, I do remember that but sometimes it happens that you say few things and you have to continue with those sentences (I do not want to use the unnatural version at all and I will try my best no to do that). At that time it becomes quiet difficult to get away with that situation. While talking to someone if I say something like this I should know what is the proper way of completing the sentence because it seems very awkward when you correct yourself by reconstructing the sentence. Your confidence and voice also go low when you are uncertain about something. So that is why I asked you this and thanks for your help.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The definite article is unnatural in all three sentences. The second should read These are all friends of Tim, unless you mean that every one of Tim's friends is in the picture or the place you're talking about. If Tim really has, say, just six friends, and all six of them are in the room or the picture, you can use a definite article.

Definite article "the".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While talking to someone if I say something like this I should know what is the proper way of completing the sentence because it seems very awkward when you correct yourself by reconstructing the sentence.

Unless you're taking an oral exam (and you haven't suggested to us that you have any intention of taking exams in English), it doesn't matter if you get it slightly wrong as long as the listener understands what you mean. Whether you say "Tim is Tom's friend", "Tim is a friend of Tom", "Tim is a friend of Tom's", "Tim is one of Tom's friends" or "Tim is friends with Tom", it doesn't matter.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Unless you're taking an oral exam (and you haven't suggested to us that you have any intention of taking exams in English), it doesn't matter if you get it slightly wrong as long as the listener understands what you mean. Whether you say "Tim is Tom's friend", "Tim is a friend of Tom", "Tim is a friend of Tom's", "Tim is one of Tom's friends" or "Tim is friends with Tom", it doesn't matter.

Sorry for this reply EMS but I would like to be using the correct version. I love this language so I have to be accurate in every aspect.:roll:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Life's too short, tufguy. Besides, that's completely unachieveable, even for native speakers.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Life's too short, tufguy. Besides, that's completely unachieveable, even for native speakers.

Yes, I know you cannot be a perfect guy because the realm of knowledge is so vast that you cannot see it in one birth you will have to take several. But at least we can strive to make ourselves better. so that we don't feel that we didn't try.

Status
Not open for further replies.