give advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitinvo

Member Type
Student or Learner
My voice is very weird when I'm speaking English. Do you have any advice to fix my problem?
thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My voice is very weird when I'm speaking English. Do you have any advice to fix my problem?
thanks

What do you mean by weird? Almost everyone sounds different when they speak a foreign language. I once recorded myself speaking French and Spanish, and barely recognised my own voice.

With my students here in Spain, I know exactly how they sound when they're speaking English, but when I hear them speaking Spanish, they sound completely different.

Perhaps you only sound weird to yourself!

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
Don't worry too much about how you sound! People throughout the United States have varying accents. I suppose there are standards in the media, though.

I suggest enunciating your words and paying close attention to the phonetic system. You're probably having a difficult time with the inflections (rising and falling of the voice). What is your native language? As long as your language isn't tonal, you shouldn't have too much trouble resembling an American or British speaker. :)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
thanks

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Hitinvo.

(1) Are you referring to having an accent?

(2) If possible, go to a good bookstore and try to buy a

good book on pronouncing American English.

(3) There are some very good books. They will teach you

where to put the tongue in order to make the "proper"

sounds.

***** Thank you *****

Status
Not open for further replies.