Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The leather that is the material (that/which) we made the jackets with is expensive.

1. The leather, that is the material with which we made the jackets, is expensive.
2. The leather, which is the material we made the jackets with, is expensive.
3. The leather, that is the material that we made the jackets with, is expensive.

Hello,
I know that 1 and 2 are correct. But what about 3? 3 is self made by me. Is 3 ok as well?

Thank you

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The leather that is the material (that/which) we made the jackets with is expensive.

1. The leather, that is the material with which we made the jackets, is expensive.
2. The leather, which is the material we made the jackets with, is expensive.
3. The leather, that is the material that we made the jackets with, is expensive.

Hello,
I know that 1 and 2 are correct. But what about 3? 3 is self made by me. Is 3 ok as well?

Thank you

The third is OK, but the second "that" is not needed.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:up: Well spotted.

That was the same guy who posted in Wordrefernce .com.

It seems that posting the same question in several forums, thereby wasting the time of people who respond to a question that has already been satisfactorily answered elsewhere, is not new.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
:up: Well spotted.

That was the same guy who posted in Wordrefernce .com.

It seems that posting the same question in several forums, thereby wasting the time of people who respond to a question that has already been satisfactorily answered elsewhere, is not new.
I consider it as rude as sending a manuscript simultaneously to two publishers. That's probably unfair to some posters, but it's how I feel. (Or maybe they do that routinely these days and it's expected?)

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I apologize for writing "relative clause" to some of my threads. I shouldn't have done it. It's my fault and please excuse me.
I do agree with you. I shouldn't post here the questions that were posted in other forums. But this may be point of question to you that why Sb (me) asks the questions posted some years ago!
Well, I have adjusted the forums into Ascending Order so that I will be able to start to read the forum from first threads in order to improve my grammar.
I think you are right and I shouldn't post a question which was posted once in another forum. I will try not to repeat asking a question once posted in another forum unless the members of the forum give me a clarified answer.
Just please don't call it a rude behavior.:-|
It's better to call it a neglect.

Last edited:

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I consider it as rude as sending a manuscript simultaneously to two publishers.
We nonnative English speakers usually do this because sometimes believe me even native English speakers make mistake in giving correct answers. We do it in order to compare the answers and choose the one which has been more confirmed or agreed in the forums. We don't like to bother members. The reason just we do it is because we want to be sure about our answers.
I respect all moderators and members and I'll post the way they like it. I respect all comments and I will make effort to adjust myself into your true comments and forum rules.
My regards.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I told you some time ago in another forum that posting the same question in different threads wasted people's time.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.