Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thanks a lot. My name is Eric. Glad to meet u here. i have another questions. would you mind helping me ? Thanks a lot, Sir/Madam.
This is a multiple choices questions.
Choose one which is similar to the former one.
1. The songs are popular. _____ like them.
A. The people . B. The country people. C. The folk. D. Many people.
2. They are pop singers. So______________________.
A. They are folk singers. B. They are public singers.
C. Everyone likes them. D. No one likes them.
i can understand the key to questiion1 is D. But No. 2 is C. I cannot understand.
Besides would you mind telling the difference between a physician and a surgeon? How about a doctor? I think the medical system is quite different from that in China here. So please help me . Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Re: i need ur help.thanks.

Conjugate the verb "to believe."

I believe
You believe
He believes

Jasper White believes in ancient myths.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France

thanks a lot. My name is Eric. Glad to meet u here. i have another questions. would you mind helping me ? Thanks a lot, Sir/Madam.
This is a multiple choices questions.
Choose one which is similar to the former one.
1. The songs are popular. _____ like them.
A. The people . B. The country people. C. The folk. D. Many people.
2. They are pop singers. So______________________.
A. They are folk singers. B. They are public singers.
C. Everyone likes them. D. No one likes them.
i can understand the key to questiion1 is D. But No. 2 is C. I cannot understand.
Besides would you mind telling the difference between a physician and a surgeon? How about a doctor? I think the medical system is quite different from that in China here. So please help me . Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hello Eric and thanks for the season's greetings.
There is very little difference between physician and doctor. They mean about the same thing.
A surgeon, however, is not only a physician but he has also specialized in the branch of medicine concerned with treatment of injuries or disorders of the body by incision or manipulation, especially with instruments. Surgeons open the body to correct whatever is wrong with the patient. I am a retired surgeon, for example. People call me "Doctor" and I often say that I am a physician when I am asked what I do for a living. Sometimes I will say that I am a surgeon, but not often.
A surgeon is a doctor/physician but a doctor/physician may not be a surgeon.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Hi, I am from China and I am learning and teaching New Concept English. There is a sentence in the piece, which I think is not correct. "It is "Jasper White is one of those rare people who believes in ancient myths." I think it should be "believe" not "believes" according to the grammar I learnt.

You have had great explanations of how it could be either "believe" or "believes". As you say you are teaching English, may I respectfully suggest that you make sure that in your written English you stick to correct capitalisation of the word "I", and of the first letter of each sentence, at all times. Also, on this forum, it's very helpful to enclose the words you are querying (in this case "believe" and "believes") in quotation marks, or at least italicise them so they stand out from the rest of the sentence.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

As for your other multiple choice quesiton, it's a bad question. Not everyone likes pop music.

"Pop" music is not universally "popular" -- especially in retirement communities.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
@ ericzhaolingchina

I have moved part of your original thread to a new thread. Please ask questions on different topics in fresh threads. Thank you.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thanks.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

My question is about the attributive clause of the English Grammar. So I think you misunderstood me.This is what I learnt. The following two sentences are totally different according to my past learning experiences and as a matter of fact, the second one is wrong..The foreigner from Uganda in my school, however, told me both of them are correct. i am puzzled.
1. Jasper White is one of those rare people who believe in ancient myths.
2. Jasper White is the only one of those rare people who believes in ancient myths.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Yeah. I cannot agree more. However, the answer told me that it is the correct answer so I want to make sure. Thanks anyway. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope you a peaceful and prosperous new year.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thanks.I am a newcomer here. Thanks for your valuable advice. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thanks a lot. We have a foreign teacher from Uganda in my present school who told me something differnt from what you mentioned. First, if I were sick, I would go to see a doctor in a hospital who would tell me what kind of disease I suffered and then would give me instructions and would tell me which physician I should go to. And she told me that a physician is different from a surgeon. What a doctor does is general while a physician is detailed and at the same time a physician earns more money because he/she works under a lot of pressure. And she doesnot know anything about surgeon. Unfortunately,I have a cold now.Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.