Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
The test is going well. We haven't had any problem.

Why do we use "haven't had" instead of "didn't have"?

could you please clear it out straightaway.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

could you please clear it out straightaway.

Because the test is ongoing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

[STRIKE]could you please clear it out straightaway[/STRIKE].

As bhai said, the first sentence makes it clear that the test is still underway. If it helps, imagine that it reads "We haven't had any problems yet" or "We haven't had any problems so far".

If it started "The test went well", showing that the test is over, it could be followed by "We didn't have any problems".

Please don't ask us to reply "straight away" (note though, that it is written as two words). We are all volunteers. We will get to your post as and when we have the time.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...and we won't clear it out; we'll clear it up.

Rover

Jadoon 84

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
As bhai said, the first sentence makes it clear that the test is still underway. If it helps, imagine that it reads "We haven't had any problems yet" or "We haven't had any problems so far".

If it started "The test went well", showing that the test is over, it could be followed by "We didn't have any problems".

Please don't ask us to reply "straight away" (note though, that it is written as two words). We are all volunteers. We will get to your post as and when we have the time.

I have a confusion about "had" in these sentences. We haven't had any problems yet or We haven't had any problems so far.
Why do we use "had" here? As per my limited knowledge about grammar "had" is used only as follows
1, Past tense i.e. Smith had gone to New York last month. 2, Used for past possession i.e. Smith had a BMW when he lived in New York. 3, Used in conditional sentences i.e. If Jadoon had money he would visit Sydney at the eve of new year. Or if Jadoon had had money he would have visited Sydney at the eve of new year. Please teach me more uses of "Had" to clear my confusion.
Thank you very much

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have a confusion about "had" in these sentences. We haven't had any problems yet or We haven't had any problems so far.
Why do we use "had" here?
It is the third form (past participle) of the verb HAVE, used in the construction of perfect and passive forms.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would you have been less confused if it had read "We haven't experienced any problems yet"?

Status
Not open for further replies.