[Vocabulary] What is the difference between make of &make from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiley21

Member Type
Student or Learner
I often find it confusing to differentiate between make of and make from. When should I use them?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I often find it confusing to differentiate between make of and make from. When should I use them?

'Make' means 'make' in both. Adding 'from' just says more about what the maker used. He made a model of the Houses of Parliament from matchsticks. Often you can use 'out of' as well, as in the saying 'You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' (which means roughly the same as the American advice against putting lipstick on a pig. ;-))

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
PS There are other possible uses of 'make from' as 'from' is a preposition, the phrase has at least as many meanings as the preposition has. Here are just two:

During 1978, I made from £14.00 a day to £50.00. As I was still singing in restaurants, I some times made more from playing the guitar than from my day-job.

My point is, we need to know some context before we can answer your original question helpfully.

b

Eden Darien

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
South Korea
WORD CHOICE:made from, made of, made by
When you are talking about the materials that are used to make something, you say that it is made of or made from those materials.
Use made from when the original materials have been completely changed and cannot be recognized : Paper is made from wood.
Use made of when the original materials have not been completely changed and you can still see them : a table made of wood
!! Do not use made by when you are talking about the materials something is made from : a small purse made of leather (NOT a small purse made by leather). Made by is used to talk about the person or company that made something : All the furniture in this room was made by my grandfather.

source: Longman Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.