Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. Does "very well" fit the sentence? Doesn't it have to be "very good"? "Be+well" doesn't sound proper except for the meaning of "be healthy".
2. Does "it is just that" mean "it is just because"?

mo26)It seems that new members to our reading club have decided that it is a place where extreme political views can be expressed openly. The original reason for setting up the club was to encourage a social gathering where we could discuss new and old books, and make suggestions as to the meaning behind the words. It seems that, at recent meetings though, people have spent more time discussing what is happening in the political environment rather than what is happening between the covers of the books. Political discussions are all very well in the right place, but it is just
that the
reading club is not the place where politics should interfere with the purpose of the meeting. This issue should be brought to everyone’s attention. Otherwise, I feel that the reading group may no longer function as it should and once did.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. Does "very well" fit the sentence? Doesn't it have to be "very good"? "Be+well" doesn't sound proper except for the meaning of "be healthy".
2. Does "it is just that" mean "it is just because"?

mo26)It seems that new members to our reading club have decided that it is a place where extreme political views can be expressed openly. The original reason for setting up the club was to encourage a social gathering where we could discuss new and old books, and make suggestions as to the meaning behind the words. It seems that, at recent meetings though, people have spent more time discussing what is happening in the political environment rather than what is happening between the covers of the books. Political discussions are all very well in the right place, but it is just
that the
reading club is not the place where politics should interfere with the purpose of the meeting. This issue should be brought to everyone’s attention. Otherwise, I feel that the reading group may no longer function as it should and once did.
No, this means "Discussing politics is all very well"; "It's all very well to discuss politics". It's adverbial. Maybe that passage is badly written, but "all very well" is an idiom.
"It's just that ..." is also idiomatic. If someone says, "X is all very well; it's just ..." this means "There is nothing intrinsically wrong with X, but there is an objection I have to it in this case." or "X is certainly a valid thing to do, but my only worry is ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.