In British English, is /tr/ pronounced as /tʃr/ as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi,

Recently, I have found a video on Youtube, demonstrating the American pronunciation of /tr/ as /tʃr/. It makes me wonder if it is necessary in British English, especially more "standard" accent, to pronounce /tr/ as /tʃr/? If I do not do so, will I sound "foreign"?

Here is the video:
How to Pronounce the TR Consonant Cluster - American English - YouTube
Thank you! :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It makes me wonder if it is necessary in British English, especially more "standard" accent, to pronounce /tr/ as /tʃr/? If I do not do so, will I sound "foreign"?
No and no. Indeed, if you consciously try to pronounce the 'tr' in 'try' as /tʃr/ you will almost certainly sound unnatural.

thincat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks a lot! I guess this is also a distinction between American and British English. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks a lot! I guess this is also a distinction between American and British English. :)
I don't think so. In both varieties, the the tongue is farther back on the alveolar ridge for the t in 'try' than for the one in 'tie'; the resultant sound in 'try' may therefore may have some slight /tʃr/-ness about it. However, it would be a mistake to consciously attempt to pronounce the /tr/ sound as /tʃr/.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a good question. We certainly start such TR- words with CHR-, as in /tʃr/. I wonder if we couldn't use different symbols for various /t/ like sounds here in different geolects.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
We certainly start such TR- words with CHR-, as in /tʃr/.
Wha are 'we'? I don't.

I agree with Davilla’s response here:

Question: All dictionaries that I know of use /tr/ in the phonetical spelling of words such as "trash", "trail", and "true". I believe the actual pronunciation is with a ch sound or something similar. I'm wondering if the distinction in my ears might be a result of a slight accustomization to the Mandarin spoken around me. In other words, am I hearing something now that most English speakers cannot hear, or that they simply have not noticed?[...]
Response: The pronunciation /tʃræʃ/ is considered to be incorrect (and even illiterate) in standard English. Careful speakers still say /træʃ/. However, /tʃræʃ/ is standard in Cockney and some other accents and dialects. Davilla

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think Davilla may be overstating the case when s/he use the term illiterate.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think Davilla may be overstating the case when s/he use the term illiterate.
Particularly when she is commenting on the spoken word!

I should have made it clear that my agreement was only with the idea that it is considered incorrect in standard English.

Having thought about it more, I think that even 'incorrect' may be a little strong. However, I do consider it non-standard, and I stand by my "Indeed, if you consciously try to pronounce the 'tr' in 'try' as /tʃr/ you will almost certainly sound unnatural". I think some people are confusing what they think they hear with what is actually produced.

I have had trainees swear that they pronounce the word 'handbag' with /nd/ before a the /b/, and almost call me a liar when I have said that they have just listened to me use /m/. I have had to use recordings to demonstrate that I (and they!) actually produce /m/ there in normal conversation . This is a bit of a reversal of the situation with the 'tr' blend but, as both Wells (LPD) and Roach (EPD) do record the /m/ for handbag and do not record the /tʃ/ for 'try', I have faith in my views of the pronunciation of 'try' - in standard British English.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Interesting point- I will listen out for this one, but I can hear /tʃr/ in my head without it being a particular dialect or regional form. I may have been abroad too long. ;-)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Sorry, I assumed people knew from context that I meant we speakers of AmE; I don't think I can remember hearing anyone here in North America not pronouncing TR words as /tʃr/.

Wha are 'we'? I don't.

I agree with Davilla’s response here:

Question: All dictionaries that I know of use /tr/ in the phonetical spelling of words such as "trash", "trail", and "true". I believe the actual pronunciation is with a ch sound or something similar. I'm wondering if the distinction in my ears might be a result of a slight accustomization to the Mandarin spoken around me. In other words, am I hearing something now that most English speakers cannot hear, or that they simply have not noticed?[...]
Response: The pronunciation /tʃræʃ/ is considered to be incorrect (and even illiterate) in standard English. Careful speakers still say /træʃ/. However, /tʃræʃ/ is standard in Cockney and some other accents and dialects. Davilla

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I'm not sure you can consider spoken RP to be a "standard English" when the English-speaking world is actually quite a democratic quilt of regional varieties, many of which vastly outnumber speakers of RP.

Particularly when she is commenting on the spoken word!

I should have made it clear that my agreement was only with the idea that it is considered incorrect in standard English.

Having thought about it more, I think that even 'incorrect' may be a little strong. However, I do consider it non-standard, and I stand by my "Indeed, if you consciously try to pronounce the 'tr' in 'try' as /tʃr/ you will almost certainly sound unnatural". I think some people are confusing what they think they hear with what is actually produced.

I have had trainees swear that they pronounce the word 'handbag' with /nd/ before a the /b/, and almost call me a liar when I have said that they have just listened to me use /m/. I have had to use recordings to demonstrate that I (and they!) actually produce /m/ there in normal conversation . This is a bit of a reversal of the situation with the 'tr' blend but, as both Wells (LPD) and Roach (EPD) do record the /m/ for handbag and do not record the /tʃ/ for 'try', I have faith in my views of the pronunciation of 'try' - in standard British English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I assumed people knew from context that I meant we speakers of AmE; I don't think I can remember hearing anyone here in North America not pronouncing TR words as /tʃr/.
And I am speaking only of standard BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.