Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Please correct the mistakes in my short passage.

There are always people that go wild on Hallowe'en. I remember last year, a bunch of kids threw eggs and toilet paper at their neighbors houses. The neighbors called the police as this was clearly a vandalism act, but the cops said that it was not a big deal since it was Hallowe'en and the children were below 16. I didn't know it was legal to do stuff like that. If it'd been my house I would've prolly filled a bucket up with cold water and soak those little bastards.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please correct the mistakes in my short passage.

There are always people that go wild on Hallowe'en. I remember last year, a bunch of kids threw eggs and toilet paper at their neighbors' houses. The neighbors called the police as it was clearly an act of vandalism, but the cops said that it was not a big deal since it was Hallowe'en and the children were under 16. I didn't know it was legal to do stuff like that. If it had been my house I would've probably filled a bucket up with cold water and soaked those little bastards.

:)

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Is it wrong to use contractions in written English? Particularly with "had" and "would" as in she'd, he'd, it'd, and so forth.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
is it wrong to use contractions in written English?

No, but in my opinion the point of a contraction is to make the phrase shorter, not make an ugly sound (it-ud).

He'd, she'd and you'd perform the work of normal contractions.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it wrong to use contractions in written English? Particularly with "had" and "would" as in she'd, he'd, it'd, and so forth.

It can be in more formal texts.

However, when transcribing a text such as this which I take it is meant to be spoken, then it's quite appropriate.

You should know that it's not anywhere near as common to contract it would to it'd than to contract he would and she would but if that's what you want your reader to hear when they read it, then that's what you should use.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are always people who go wild on Hallowe'en.

Status
Not open for further replies.