Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Google define tells me: hollow out: remove the interior of; "hollow out a tree trunk", however I am not quite sure what it refers to figuratively in the following excerpt, from the speech given by the new minister of Japan:

I want to implement countermeasures to avoid the hollowing out of industry in Japan...

...due to the historic appreciation of the yen, it is only natural to feel an unprecedented sense of crisis concerning the hollowing out of industry.

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Google define tells me: hollow out: remove the interior of; "hollow out a tree trunk", however I am not quite sure what it refers to figuratively in the following excerpt, from the speech given by the new minister of Japan:

I want to implement countermeasures to avoid the hollowing out of industry in Japan...

...due to the historic appreciation of the yen, it is only natural to feel an unprecedented sense of crisis concerning the hollowing out of industry.
not a teacher

He doesn't want Japan's industry to lose its core (not hollow it out). One of the main competences of Japan are exports. Exports usually become lower once a currency (Yen) becomes highly appreciated.

pizza

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Latin
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks Michael, I understand it a bit better now.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Did you translate this?

"Hollow out" is not an economic or business term.

Status
Not open for further replies.