Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Well, they may be downright funny for you but I'm finding it hard to understand some of the jokes I've just read from a newspaper, the first one being:

What did the chicken say to the duck by the side of the road? Don't cross the road, mate, or you'll never hear the end of it.

And the second:

How do you get down off an elephant? You don't, you get down off a goose.

I know that it's not easy explaining jokes and some jokes are better off left unexplained but if anyone can shed some lights on how these two jokes are funny, you're more than welcome to do so. Thanks so much!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1 This is a reference to an old, unfunny joke: 'Why did the chicken cross the Road?'/[After failed guesses at the answer to what the victim assumes is a riddle]'To get to the other side.'

2 Simple pun on the word 'down'

;-)

b

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Thanks BobK, got it! And here's another piece of a supposedly funny overheard conversation:

Girl: I hate it when my shampoo isn't on special.
Guy: Yeah. When it isn't on special I just hate my life.

I guess that the hilarity has got something to do with the "it" in the first sentence as it can be understood 2 ways but I still can't spell out what's funny.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks BobK, got it! And here's another piece of a supposedly funny overheard conversation:

Girl: I hate it when my shampoo isn't on special.
Guy: Yeah. When it isn't on special I just hate my life.

I guess that the hilarity has got something to do with the "it" in the first sentence as it can be understood 2 ways but I still can't spell out what's funny.
I think this is just a case of the guy mocking the girl for exaggerating (and for being shallow) by saying something even more outrageous, facetiously.
This isn't a joke, as such. It might work in a sitcom though.

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
This isn't a joke, as such. It might work in a sitcom though.
You're right. This is a real conversation overheard and put on a newspaper that I read.

Status
Not open for further replies.