Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hi, I'd like to know the meaning of this expression "as fine as paint"
this is the context:

Richie, unaware that Ben was in deep throes of calf-love, was feeling just as fine as paint.
Thank
Rip

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Your context is paint-thin.
Is this sentence from the nonsense poem
"The Hunting of the Snark" by Lewis Carroll ?
If yes, it probably means that Ben was feeling just fine because he was in love - possibly for the first time.
John

[FONT=&quot]CHAPTER V THE FIRST LANDFALL
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It will not be so monotonous at sea," I promised my fellow voyagers on the Snark. Being afraid to go by the English Channel, it sailed all round Scotland and Ireland; some of the ships getting cast away on the latter coast in bad weather, the Irish, who were a kind of savages, plundered those vessels and killed their crews.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Richie, unaware that Ben was in deep throes of calflove, was feeling just as fine as paint. Pardon me, sir, but the indistinctness must be in your powers of vision. However, I assured her that if he found he couldn't stand it I would fix him so that he could. ' He entered a place of public entertainment, ordered bread and cheese, and writing materials, and sat down before them heavily. womens bailey button uggs still has an organization and some of his followers will remain loyal. Mallory had tolerated him rather scornfully, but today she smiled upon him. I fear such greatness must experience a fall. ] Thus the reciters, after all, did not spare "the old material" in the matter of corslets. Uncle Vernon suddenly found his voice. "Don't want to upset the team any more.[/FONT]

Last edited:

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm reading "It" by Stephen King.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your context is paint-thin.
Is this sentence from the nonsense poem
"The Hunting of the Snark" by Lewis Carroll ?
If yes, it probably means that Ben was feeling just fine because he was in love - possibly for the first time.
John

[FONT=&quot]CHAPTER V THE FIRST LANDFALL
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"It will not be so monotonous at sea," I promised my fellow voyagers on the Snark. Being afraid to go by the English Channel, it sailed all round Scotland and Ireland; some of the ships getting cast away on the latter coast in bad weather, the Irish, who were a kind of savages, plundered those vessels and killed their crews.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Richie, unaware that Ben was in deep throes of calflove, was feeling just as fine as paint. Pardon me, sir, but the indistinctness must be in your powers of vision. However, I assured her that if he found he couldn't stand it I would fix him so that he could. ' He entered a place of public entertainment, ordered bread and cheese, and writing materials, and sat down before them heavily. womens bailey button uggs still has an organization and some of his followers will remain loyal. Mallory had tolerated him rather scornfully, but today she smiled upon him. I fear such greatness must experience a fall. ] Thus the reciters, after all, did not spare "the old material" in the matter of corslets. Uncle Vernon suddenly found his voice. "Don't want to upset the team any more.[/FONT]

I'm reading "It" by Stephen King.

It seems strange that Stephen King should use the same character names and the same quirky word order ('Ben was in deep throes of' rather than 'Ben was deep in the throes of'). Are you sure he wasn't quoting the earlier text?

b

ripley

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm sure.I've got the book in front of me.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Status
Not open for further replies.