[Essay] please reword this sentence it is awkward!

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,747
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

By giving Connie’s personal feelings and thoughts about herself, boys, her family, and Arnold Friend, whom represents Schmid in Oates’ story, Oates proves to the reader that Connie is not at fault for getting involved with Arnold Friend.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By giving Connie’s personal feelings and thoughts about herself, boys, her family, and Arnold Friend, whom represents Schmid in Oates’ story, Oates proves to the reader that Connie is not at fault for getting involved with Arnold Friend.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning.

The best that I can come up with is something like:

To convince the reader that Connie is not at fault for getting involved with Arnold Friend, Oates describes Connie's feelings about herself, boys, her family, and Arnold, who represents Schmid.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

Yes, I would agree with TheParser that it might be best to reverse the order of what is said here; however, I do not actually find the original sentence to be awkward. It seems clear enough, and the author may have a reason for stating it in this way. The word "whom" should be changed to "who," however.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I find myself agreeing with kfredson again. One suggestion would be to put "who represents Schmid in the story" in parentheses. This would eliminate one set of commas from the entire sentence and make the critical path a bit more clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.