[General] What do you love and hate most about learning English? What is the best way to learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dStutt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi guys,

My name is David and I am a native English speaker. I study linguistics at university and my dream is to create a world where anybody who wants to learn English has efficient and practical learning resources readily available to them.

I was wondering to myself lately about how a potential learner of English might be better engaged in their study of the language and hence two very important questions arose:

• What did you hate most about learning English at school/self-study thereafter?
  • What did you love about learning English and, more specifically, what would you say was the most efficient way you were able to learn?

I studied German at school. Now, I love languages and of course German too, but sometimes it felt so mundane and uninteresting; particularly talking about cassettes and stuff like that in the 2000s. :/

Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts. Help me make an enlightened tomorrow!

kamraj

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I am a non-native user of English. I learn it for any number of years, but something always remains undone. But, I don't intend to give it up. I will continue working upon the language. It doesn't matter even if I lack in perfection. The best way to learn English is reading and then writing. Speaking comes with an exposure to the appropriate environment. If we associate ourselves with the native speakers, we may struggle to understand for sometime. Ultimately, we get rid of the problem to a very good extent.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It was. It is no more, at least on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.