Forming passive sentences

Status
Not open for further replies.

tieusu81

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi everyone,

I am studying about forming passive sentences. And I am confusing when we can make a passive form of 2- or 3-word verbs. For instances, we can say: either "Martha talked me into buying a bike" or "I was talked into buying a bike". But we say: "I had to put out a hand to steady myself" rather than: "A hand was put out ...".

Is there any principles about how we can make a passive form of 2- or 3-word verbs?

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi everyone,

I am studying about forming passive sentences. And I am confusing when we can make a passive form of 2- or 3-word verbs. For instances, we can say: either "Martha talked me into buying a bike" or "I was talked into buying a bike". But we say: "I had to put out a hand to steady myself" rather than: "A hand was put out ...".
The problem is that "A hand was put out ..." doesn't contain the modal verb that was present in the original sentence. "A hand had to be put out..." would do better. But, even if it doesn't change the meaning, I think it changes the feel about it. Now, it's not you who had to put your hand. It's your hand that had to be put by you. It's more like this obligation hadn't been in your mind, but in the air. I'm not sure if it's right though, it's rather mystical.
Is there any principles about how we can make a passive form of 2- or 3-word verbs?
There are no special principles, to the best of my knowledge.
Thank you.

Have a nice day.
I am not a teacher.

Last edited:

tieusu81

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much for your prompt answer. So, if I want to make a passive form of verb, I have to understand meaning of it and its agent or "feel it right"?:up: I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.