Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So my SO (significant other) and I are having a discussion about the meaning of "fall off the wagon". Ten weeks ago I quit drinking Coke - something I was heavily addicted to, averaging half a gallon p/day. Today I had a sip of a Coke that my SO had with him and he says that I fell off the wagon. I say one small sip does not count as falling off the wagon, that I would have to start drinking it again for me to actually fall off the wagon. He says that it doesn't matter how much or how little I ingest - that to fall off the wagon is to use something that one has vowed to never use again, even if its only just once.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This isn't so much a language question as a question of attitude towards addiction IMO. I would normally think of alcoholics and drug users falling off the wagon, where there would be a direct and obvious effect of their consumption, and would normally involve more than one sip.

However, would you feel the same way if an ex-smoker had a puff of a cigarette, or would they have to smoke a whole cigarette or a packet to fall off the wagon? It can be argued that any consumption involves a degree of falling of the wagon, but there's slipping a bit and falling right off it. If you get back on the wagon, then you can argue you certainly didn't fall right off. And good luck with quitting. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.