[Vocabulary] A-Levels or sixth form school?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bercam

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have doubts about the best way to describe a post compulsory school in England. Would it be best to say that the school "has Sixth Form" or saying that "it has A-levels" would be a more appropiate description?

Thank you so much for your help.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I have doubts about the best way to describe a post compulsory school in England. Would it be best to say that the school "has Sixth Form" or saying that "it has A-levels" would be a more appropriate description?

Thank you so much for your help.
Most state secondary schools (at least in my area) no longer have a sixth form. Students who wish to do A levels, or other post GCSE studies, go to a "Sixth Form College" or "College of Further Education". These studies are free up to age 19.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most state secondary schools (at least in my area) no longer have a sixth form. Students who wish to do A levels, or other post GCSE studies, go to a "Sixth Form College" or "College of Further Education". These studies are free up to age 19.

It depends where you live. Here in Reading there are at least two state schools that still have sixth forms. My children both went to them. I think bhaisahab's 'most' is probably right at a national level though.

I think that, as far as this translation is concerned, you could say 'go on to study at sixth-form level', which covers both cases.

b

PS Colleges of Further Education also offer GCSE course (usually retakes), and 'post GCSE studies' include both studies of things at a higher level than GCSE and practise of other things after failure at GCSE. I know, having taught in one (and I could show you the scars to prove it!)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.