Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Mali
Hi, "impregnable" has been defined as "unable to be defeated or destroyed; unassailable."
Have I used the word correctly in my context?
"A leader who is emotionally impregnable when a husband laying his hand on his spouse will definitely fail in his role of governance."
What I mean is "a leader who is emotionally untouched when he witnessed a husband treating one's spouse abusively will never rule his country well." Or is there a more concise way of writing? Because I always find my sentence verbose. Thanks in advance

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

It does not seem natural to me.
We might talk of a castle or fortress as impregnable, "Dover Castle was impregnable to French seige tactics" might be a phrase using that word.
For your sentence I think the word unmoved is better.
"A leader who is unmoved when a husband lays his hand on his spouse will definitely fail in his role of governace"

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
May I use 'apathetic'?
'A leader apathetic about a husband's laying his hand on his spouse will definitely fail in his role of governance.'

Not a teacher.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
May I use 'apathetic'?
'A leader apathetic about a husband's laying his hand on his spouse will definitely fail in his role of governance.'

Not a teacher.
Not A Teacher

Yes I think that would also be alright.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How about just "A man who is untroubled by wife beating will not make a good leader."

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

iereiy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Mali
Thanks everyone for the contribution. :-D Well, is 'impregnable' only limited to 'wall, castle, fortress defense' that kind of context? Can it be used for emotion, like emotionally impregnable to?

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Click here to read many examples of the word used in a wide variety of contexts.

(Bookmark the Fraze.It site for future reference.)

iereiy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Mali
Correct me if I'm wrong. Can the following sentences:

1. His face bore the marks of much, not always peaceful meditation; the look of it not bland or benevolent so much as close impregnable and hard. (http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/)
2. Michelle had been grounded in her resolve to be emotionally impregnable and she was heavily armed with a quick wit and a wicked sharp tongue. (http://books.google.com/)

justify my use of emotionally impregnable in the following 'a man who is emotionally impregnable by wife beating will not make a good leader.'?

How about just "A man who is untroubled by wife beating will not make a good leader."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think so- your sentence is different from #2 because you add by wife beating, which doesn't work for me.

iereiy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Mali
I'm confused. What exactly is the meaning of 'emotionally impregnable' in #2? I thought it's apathetic, unmoved, untroubled, unconcerned, unperturbed, not emotionally attached? Will it be correct if I change 'by wife beating' to 'emotionally impregnable to domestic violence'?

Last edited:

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

The trouble stems from the meaning of being emotionally impregnable. A person can't be 'emotionally impregnable by wife beating', it just doesn't make sense. (At a pinch he can become emotionally impregnable as a result of wife beating.)

What you mean is that the person is impregnable to the emotions caused by wife beating or domestic violence, not to the beating itself.

In fact, post #1 was by far the best attempt at using 'emotionally impregnable', but as Mrfatso and others have pointed out, it isn't very natural.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm confused. What exactly is the meaning of 'emotionally impregnable' in #2? I thought it's apathetic, unmoved, untroubled, unconcerned, unperturbed, not emotionally attached? Will it be correct if I change 'by wife beating' to 'emotionally impregnable to domestic violence'?

I wouldn't use it. The fact that someone has used it doesn't make it a particularly desirable phrase- there are far better ways of saying it and you keep generating stuff that doesn't work.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
apathetic, unmoved, untroubled, unconcerned, unperturbed

In my opinion, any of the above adjectives is better than 'emotionally impregnable'. OP seems to have a preference for 'big words'.

not a teacher

Last edited:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I advise the OP, as a learner like me, not to create his/her own usages but to follow the definitions in dictionaries.

Not a teacher.

iereiy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Mali
The thing is I don't like to be bound by dictionaries. To me, as long as you get the definition right, you are free to use the word whichever way you like and that is what language mean to me. And to Tdol, for a person like me who is not a native speaker, it is by generating stuff that doesn't work and the feedback from others that help me to understand and how I should construct my sentence. Wouldn't it be ridiculous for me to join this forum if I know how to generate stuff that does work?

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The point was not about generating stuff that doesn't work, but about keeping on doing it.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Wouldn't it be ridiculous for me to join this forum if I know how to generate stuff that does work?
I doubt that this forum encourages learners to generate their own stuff.

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We urge them to generate their own sentences and paragraphs. We don't encourage them to try to use words outside of their dictionary definitions. Generally, if we, as native speakers, use a word outside its general meaning, we will give examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.