Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
There's many uses of "it" Is the following "it" a false subject or impersonality subject?
By false subject, I mean as in "It is hard to work out everyday" (To work out is the real subject)
By impersonality subject, I mean subjects indicating time, weather, distance, weight, etc not related to persons. In this sense, this "it" can seem time and "to go to school" seems a purpose as an adverbial usage.
This was a question of a middle school reference book, so I got confused. I need your kind answer.

ex)It takes me an hour to go to school

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In

It takes me an hour to go to school.

and in

It is hard to work out everyday.

"it" has the same function.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In

It takes me an hour to go to school.

and in

It is hard to work out everyday.

"it" has the same function.
There's no possibility for it in "It takes me an hour to go to school" to be a time indicator as an impersonal subject, right?
Do you have the concepts of impersonal subjects(weather, time, distance, etc) and "false subject" vs "real subject"(when real subject is too long, it's placed at the end)?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There's no possibility for it in "It takes me an hour to go to school" to be a time indicator as an impersonal subject, right?
No.

It takes me an hour to go to school. = To go to school takes me an hour.
It is hard to work out everyday. = To work out everyday is hard.
Do you have the concepts of impersonal subjects(weather, time, distance, etc) and "false subject" vs "real subject"(when real subject is too long, it's placed at the end)?
Are you asking whether I understand what you mean by "impersonal subject" and "false subject"? Then yes. If you're asking whether these are common terms, then I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.