Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What do you mean by "[FONT=&#44404]cosmic law of french toast"? The guy killed in the accident was trying to punish his wife, but by dying,he couldn't do it. Is it related to this expression? I searched internet a lot, but couldn't find a good description.[/FONT]

[FONT=굴림]2425248 - he was gonna find his old
2425248 - lady and "fix her for good. "
[/FONT][FONT=굴림]2428747 - He was 2 miles from her house
2428747 - when he crashed the motorcycle.
[/FONT][FONT=굴림]2432714 - So... if i hadn't
2432714 - picked him up
[/FONT][FONT=굴림]2435447 - or if he'd recovered...
[/FONT][FONT=굴림]2437948 - he might have come back
2437948 - and killed his wife.
[/FONT][FONT=굴림]2442847 - Well...
[/FONT][FONT=굴림]2444580 - once again...
2444580 - cosmic law of french toast.[/FONT]​

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
:)Even some of the characters don't know what this means :
Melinda: I learned a long time ago, don't question the cosmic law of French toast.Jim: The what?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
:)Even some of the characters don't know what this means :
Melinda: I learned a long time ago, don't question the cosmic law of French toast.Jim: The what?

Thanks a lot, but it still makes me wonder what it is, maybe this law is being applied to me as well.:):)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine the show explains the "law" at some other point.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I imagine the show explains the "law" at some other point.

It was mentioned twice in the same episode, but I couldn't find the meaning both in the show and the cosmos-like information source, google.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hope and Mercy - Ultimate Ghost Whisperer Wiki

Look at this. I didn't read the whole thing, and I don't watch the show. But it seems the show is using it as a shorthand for the mystery between fate and causality. Free will and determinism.

Mel made her husband French toast. This made him late for work. Since he was late, he did not check the tires on the ambulance he drives. Later, a tire failed and the ambulance rolled over and a patient died.

So, did Mel making French toast make this person die? If she had stayed in bed and he ate a bowl of cereal instead, would that change the dead person's fate? Or was he marked for death and he would have died by some other occurrence of events?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hope and Mercy - Ultimate Ghost Whisperer Wiki

Look at this. I didn't read the whole thing, and I don't watch the show. But it seems the show is using it as a shorthand for the mystery between fate and causality. Free will and determinism.

Mel made her husband French toast. This made him late for work. Since he was late, he did not check the tires on the ambulance he drives. Later, a tire failed and the ambulance rolled over and a patient died.

So, did Mel making French toast make this person die? If she had stayed in bed and he ate a bowl of cereal instead, would that change the dead person's fate? Or was he marked for death and he would have died by some other occurrence of events?

Thanks a million for your endeavor, and I can't thank you enough. I also felt stupid even though I watched the part in the show, and I clearly remember she mentioned french toast made the accident, but I thought it's not related to that. But definitely it is, and I realized it's only this drama specific expression, not common. And as you said, I think it denotes the relationship of an accidental thing like making toast to a person's fate.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The writer may be making a deliberate comical reference to surrealism or absurd humour, as in "the chance meeting on a dissecting table of a sewing machine and an umbrella" (Rimbaud).

Status
Not open for further replies.