Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
1. I can speak in two languages.
2. I can speak two languages.

Is there possibly any difference in the meaning of the above sentences or are they the same? For example does the second sentence mean that I am more native in speaking or something?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, there is a possible difference. The second is easily understood because it's the normal collocation. I would have to ask you what you mean with the first. You haven't used the normal phrase, so perhaps you are deliberately saying something different. For example," I can make the sounds of another language, but I don't understand what I'm saying", or something else.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The first thing that came through my mind was:
For 1. I am able to speak with two languages not as fluently as a native.
For 2. I am native in two languages or I can speak like a native.
Am I right?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Atabitaraf:

A few years ago, I read an explanation that seemed very helpful. May I share it with you?

1. You walk into a hotel in a foreign country and ask the receptionist: "Excuse me, do you speak English?"

2. You attend a meeting where everybody speaks both Chinese and English. You ask the participants: "For our meeting today, should we speak in Chinese or should we speak in English?"

3. My sources say that "speak English" is non-contrastive; "speak in English" is contrastive.

Credit for this information goes to two members of the grammar helpline englishforums. Their user names are "CalifJim" and "Clive."

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first sentence is also perhaps suggesting something like although you can speak in two languages, you can't read or write in them.

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

***** NOT A TEACHER *****
Long time no see dear Parser, you're my teacher in not only English but also ethics as well.
Thanks for your kind and useful comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.