'in the sense that'

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteryoung

The phrase 'in the sense that' is widely used in writing, yet I cannot find a explanation for this phrase in dictionaries. Is it correct to understand this as equivalent to 'which means'? That's only my guess.

It is a closed society in the sense that they've not been exposed to many things.

=

It is a closed society, which means that they've not been exposed to many things.

It's voluntary in the sense that the federal government will not require anyone to take the test

=

It's voluntary, which means that the federal goverment will not require anyone to take the test.

Is it right?

I'm not so sure.Would anyone help me? Any reply would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
Perhaps not 'which means', but 'and one meaning/aspect which I wish to indicate is'.

peteryoung

Thanks, Micawber. I really appreciate this. But do you mean that the part following 'in the sense that' serves as an evidence/example supporting the point made before 'in the sense that'?

My understanding:
It is a closed society in the sense that they've not been exposed to many things.
=
It is a closed society. It is closed in part because they've not been exposed to many things.

I don't know if my understanding is wrong. Thank you. :)

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
In using the phrase, the speaker is intending to narrow down the broader topic aforementioned into a narrower aspect which s/he wishes to speak of or point out.

In your example, 'a closed society' has many aspects-- restricted admission of new members, rigid cultural mores, limited access to the outside, a tendency toward traditionalism, etc. The speaker, after using the words 'a closed society', wishes to limit his/her comments to the 'limited-access-to-the-outside' aspect of it. The speaker is not necessarily defining 'a closed society'; he is limiting the discussion to one sense of the more general topic.

Is that any clearer? (I hope!)

peteryoung

Excuse me. May I ask another favor? :) How would you paraphrase the sentence
"It is a closed society in the sense that they've not been exposed to many things."?

Thanks

Mister Micawber

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
They have not been exposed to many things in the outside world, and in that way they are a 'closed society'.

Status
Not open for further replies.