• Thread starter Tyfus
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,802
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tyfus

how do i analyse this sentence ?
"His love of elegance, beauty, and precision is often ridiculed by the local bumbling policemen."

I am supposed to do it by giving a complete syntactic analysis (word level, function level ect)- but it is so hard. can you help me?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you will have to explain for me what you mean by "word level" and "function level".

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
how do i analyse this sentence ?
"His love of elegance, beauty, and precision is often ridiculed by the local bumbling policemen."

I am supposed to do it by giving a complete syntactic analysis (word level, function level ect)- but it is so hard. can you help me?

scale rank:

word-level:
[det His][N love][prep of][N elegance], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision][V is][adv often][V ridiculed][prep by][det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen].

phrase-level:
[NP [det his][N love][PP[prep of][N elegance]], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision]][VP [V is][adv often][V ridiculed][PP [prep by][NP[det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen]]]].

clause-level:
[MC[NP[det His][N love][PP[prep of][N elegance]], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision]][V is][adv often][V ridiculed][PP[prep by][NP[det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen]]]].] -- Note the placement of full stop in relation to the brackets

sentence-level:
[S/MC[det His][N love][PP[prep of][N elegance]], [N beauty], [conj and][N precision][V is][adv often][V ridiculed][PP[prep by][NP[det the][adj local][adj bumbling][N policemen]]]].]

Horror! :roll: Now you see, or so I trust, why grammarians felt the need to invent an easier representational method for illustrating sentence structure. This is where tree-diagrams enter the story. :up::oops:

So far I have carried out formal analysis. Now let us turn to functional analysis:

[His love of elegance, beauty, and precision] [is often ridiculed] [by the local bumbling policemen].

[His love of elegance, beauty, and precision] = S
is ridiculed = V
often = adjunct
[by the local bumbling policemen] = adverbial (formally a PP)

SV

thematic roles:

S = patient, theme
[by the local bumbling policemen] = agent, :?:source

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.