Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
United States
One of my friends posted this comment on my Facebook page "you try making an indie shuffle playlist yet?" , and i didn't understand what he was talking about exactly ...Can you guys help me?

P.S I posted a music playlist..

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the forums. :hi:
(Next time, a title like "indie shuffle play list" would tell us more about your question.)

"Indie music" is music by lesser-known bands, not the slick (some would say "over produced") music you hear on most radio stations. (Indie = Independent, not part of a large record lable.)

You already know what a playlist is.

I would intepret this to mean "Have you tired to create a playlist of a random collection of indie music?"

Mike112

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
United States
Thanks Barb_D, You're awesome! :)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, Mike! Welcome to the forums! :hi:

Indie Shuffle is an online music blog, with smart playlist functionality. Based out of San Francisco, the website now receives more than 2 million monthly page views. Indie Shuffle allows you to create and share your playlists on Facebook, Twitter, and devices utilizing IOS software.
The Indie Shuffle app can be found on iTunes. For more information look here.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thus demonstrating the importance of using capital letters to show a proper noun!

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thus demonstrating the importance of using capital letters to show a proper noun!
I'm not sure how important capital letters are in this case, Barb! If you look closely at the link I provided, you will see that the company's name is written in lowercase! Go figure! :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They do, however, use title case in the description on the homepage and in the page title., which makes it even harder to go and figure. ;-)

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

They do, however, use title case in the description on the homepage and in the page title., which makes it even harder to go and figure. ;-)
Barb_D, how do you handle this type of situation when you edit a book? Do you go with the author's preference for lowercase or do you change the proper noun to uppercase?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To clarify, I am a business writer (and edit for other people in a business setting). I don't do books, etc.

This situation is a mess - I can't open the link (it seems to be blocked by my work's server) - but if their proper name is in lowercase, then it should remain in lower case. After all, I'd write "iPods are the most common music device around today" not "Ipods" because "iPod" is the name of the product, even at the beginning of a sentence. But if the body copy of the Web site uses upper-case, that changes things. In any case, I'd indicate it was a proper noun in some way, perhaps by using italics the first time, and identifying what this thing is in parantheses after the name appeared.

I think choosing an adjective and a common noun as a brand name AND choosing to use them in lower-case is a poor branding and marketing decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.