Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Mel is praising him for his ability to find vietnamese veterans' records, and after he felt flattered, he said like this. I've heard flattered a lot, but is flattered above all the recognition "extremely flattered"?

g.w
[FONT=&#44404] Mel- Cause if anyone would know, you would.
VWF manager- I'm[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] flattered above all the recognition.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404] [/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404] [/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Mel is praising him for his ability to find vietnamese veterans' records, and after he felt flattered, he said like this. I've heard flattered a lot, but is flattered above all the recognition "extremely flattered"?

g.w
[FONT=&#44404] Mel- Cause if anyone would know, you would.
VWF manager- I'm[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] flattered above all the recognition.[/FONT]
Yes but the expression is normally 'beyond all recognition'. 'Above all the recognition' sounds very un-English to me.

In any case, I would not use even the normal expression with 'flattery'; it is normally used with something that you can recognise with one of the senses, usually sight:

The centre of Prague has changed beyond all recognition since I first saw it thirty years ago.

We cannot normally recognise how flattered somebody is.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Given that the context is military, the errant 'above' may come from the stock phrase 'above and beyond the call of duty'. It's as if some prescriptivist had decreed 'Don't say 'above and beyond'; what you mean is just 'above'.

b

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes but the expression is normally 'beyond all recognition'. ,Above all the recognition, sounds very un-English to me.

In any case, I would not use even the normal expression with 'flattery'; it is normally used with something that you can recognise with one of the senses, usually sight:

The centre of Prague has changed beyond all recognition since I first saw it thirty yars ago.

We cannot normally recognise how flattered somebody is.

What's he trying to say by "beyond all recognition"? He is extremly flattered? Then what's the meaning of recognition here? acknowledgement or awareness? I think it's acknowledgement.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I have suggested above, I think that the expression is used inappropriately with 'flattered'. As we have already suggested, the writer seems to mean 'extremely flatterered'.

The VWF manager's words in your first post are not natural English, so it is futile to try to work out exactly what he meant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.