Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
My sister in law wrote this to me on FACEBOOK "Hey sapna...so nice to see u on FB....so sweet to add me on!...so how is life...hope all preparations r going on well !!!"....here preparations refer to my marriage preperations...please give me the appropriate reply to this...i would be highly obliged.

thanks,
Sapna

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, tinasapu. :hi:

Facebook appears to be for communication, not for demonstrating one's prowess in English. Write what you want.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just click "like" and move on. Your sister-in-law clearly does not care much about the use of standard English.

Sapna, I appreciated that you were quoting when you used varying numbers of full stops instead of any attempt at real punctuation, but when you write for yourself, please use proper puncutation. A sentence ends with a full stop. The next sentence begins with a capital letter. We don't go create strings of sentences composed entirely of lower-case letters with thoughts separated by a random number of dots.

Best wishes for your upcoming wedding!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My sister-in-law wrote this to me on [STRIKE]FACEBOOK[/STRIKE] Facebook:

"Hey sapna...so nice to see u on FB....so sweet to add me on!...so how is life...hope all preparations r going on well !!!"

Here, preparations refer to my marriage preparations. Please give me the appropriate reply to this. I would be highly obliged.

Thanks,
Sapna

I have corrected the punctuation and capitalisation in the part of your post which you actually constructed but I have left your sister-in-law's Facebook post as it was written.

I'm quite certain you won't use my third "appropriate response" to her post, but if someone wrote this on my Facebook wall, I would probably go with one of the following:

- Thanks, but I'm studying English really hard so I found your poorly written post rather painful to read!
- Thanks, my marriage preparations are going very well.
- I'm sorry? Did you mean to write "Hi Sapna. It's so nice to see you on Facebook. It was so sweet of you to add me as a friend. How is life? I hope all the preparations are going well!"?

Having said all of that, Facebook usage does not attract or require good use of any language so, as 5jj said, "Write what you want".

Status
Not open for further replies.