Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hello

a black female caller who had complained about her white husband's use of the so-called N-word.

can you tell me what was meant by the N word? I know it's not an insult but I want to know it. Thanks.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello

a black female caller who had complained about her white husband's use of the so-called N-word.

can you tell me what was meant by the N word? I know it's not an insult but I want to know it. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you meant by the part of your post that I have marked in red above. If you meant that saying the actual words "the N word" is not an insult, then I get your point, but if you meant that the actual word involved is not an insult, then that's wrong. It's considered to be one of the most insulting and offensive words in the world, by many people.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what you meant by the part of your post that I have marked in red above. If you meant that saying the actual words "the N word" is not an insult, then I get your point, but if you meant that the actual word involved is not an insult, then that's wrong. It's considered to be one of the most insulting and offensive words in the world, by many people.
I imagine I can guess where the OP's certainty came from. In some contexts the value flips from negative to positive. This was shown in some Jacky Chan film (Rush Hour?) when Jacky Chan started a riot by copying the person he was with; from African American to African-American it can be used as a mark of familiarity/clanship/goodwill. But this is easy to misjudge. The OP shouldn't try!

b

Over the top

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
It was a typo. I wanted to say 'not a proper' but I changed my mind and used 'insult'instead and it ended up 'not an insult' sorry my brain sometimes mixes things. However, I did not know what the word was but now I know though I don't think it's too offinsive that it couldn't be written down. It reminds me of the way some people write G-d instead of God.
Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was a typo. I wanted to say 'not a proper' but I changed my mind and used 'insult'instead and it ended up 'not an insult' sorry my brain sometimes mixes things. However, I did not know what the word was but now I know though I don't think it's too offinsive that it couldn't be written down. It reminds me of the way some people write G-d instead of God.
Thanks for your help :)

I can assure you that it will entirely depend on your audience and many other factors but I would certainly advise against using it in either written or spoken form.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree. It is indeed considered one of the most offensive words in the world in the US, and it really is NOT written down. We don't say that word at all, referring to it as "the n-word."

While G_d is written, it's still said as "God" out loud.

When the n-word is written, it's not said as [you have to realize it's very hard for me to even type this!] "nigger" but said out loud as "the en word."

If my daughter came home from school and said someone on the bus used that word, she wouldn't say it -- she's say "Someone called someone else the en word."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Although when used by African-Americans among only African-Americans, it can be a nickname rather than an insult.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Is the word "negro" also referred as N-word? Is it as offencive as the word "nigger" ?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. 'Negro' is less offensive than the n-word.

It's still best avoided, though, as black people do not seem to use it to refer to themselves.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The video below shows its use by black people. It contains many bad words besides this so if you don't like such things, don't click it.

YouTube - White Friends

It gets especially instructive at 1:35.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello

********** NOT a teacher **********

Hello, Over the Top.

(1) [deleted by me]

(2) The two words that begin with "n" are not possible. If you use

them, you may be fired from your job or you may even suffer

physical consequences from an offended person.

(3) Early in the Twentieth Century, people used the term

"colored person." Today that is as offensive as the two n-words.

Nevertheless, one -- and only one -- organization still uses it in its name

because it was established back in the days when that term was OK.

That organization is the NAACP (the National Association for the

Advancement of Colored People). They have decided to keep the original name.

(4) In conclusion:

African American is proper.

Black is proper (but be careful of the tone of voice with which you use it)

Ni---- is 100% taboo.

Negro is now offensive. It was regularly used until people started to
say black/African American in the 1960's.

Colored person is now offensive.

Some people here in the United States never, ever use that

taboo word -- even among family and friends, because they are

afraid that they might accidentally say that word when they become

angry with someone. The results could be disastrous -- socially,

legally, physically.

THANK YOU

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Needless to say "African American" is only any use if the person is actually American!

There was another thread about this some time ago, and I believe we had a long discussion about the use of "Black British" in this country. I can't remember what the final outcome was, if there was one.

However, the general rule remains "Don't use the "N" words".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "United Negro College Fund" is another organization whose name contains an anachronistic appellation.

It's also OK for white people to discuss baseball players from the "Negro Leagues" which existed before the sport was integrated. Tomorrow in my hometown, the local major league team is paying tribute to a "Negro League" team from the area, and using that term in their advertising.

Otherwise, the term, like the N-word proper is verboten for any non-black person to say.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is the word "negro" also referred as N-word? Is it as offencive as the word "nigger" ?
I don't believe it is (either); but you'd better check with a US view. It's not as offensive, but it's certainly not the preferred option.

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It is not even close in my view. Negro is only dated (it sounds like the sixties and seventies) and therefore reminds people of the even poorer state of civil rights and equality back then.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
********** NOT a teacher **********

Hello, Over the Top.

(1) Today in 2010, there are only two terms that are acceptable:

African American and black.

And what if said person of color is a citizen of Canada or England or some other country?

Please consider your responses more thoroughly before making such sweeping generalizations.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And what if said person of color is a citizen of Canada or England or some other country?

Please consider your responses more thoroughly before making such sweeping generalizations.

That's why I posted my earlier comment referring back to an old thread where we discussed the use of "Black British" and such like.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Dear Moderator:

I humbly apologize for my error. I promise to try to do better

next time. I have deleted the offending passage. Thank you for

your guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.