Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
[FONT=&#48148] Where do you like to shop?[/FONT][FONT=&#48148] * I enjoy shopping in a shopping centre because there's many shops in there.
==========================================================
What's the difference between "shopping centre" and "shopping mall"?
Is it only British vs American?[/FONT]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, shopping center is a somewhat old-fashioned term for a development in a city containing stores facing a parking lot. Nowadays we usually call such places shopping plazas or strip malls. A shopping mall or, more commonly, just mall, is a large building or group of buildings containing stores which face pedestrian areas. Until recently, malls were always enclosed; it's now fashionable to build open-air malls that vaguely imitate the downtown shopping areas of smaller towns of fifty years ago.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Where do you like to shop? * I enjoy shopping in shopping centers because there are many shops there.
==========================================================
What's the difference between "shopping centre" and "shopping mall"?
Is it only British versus American​ English?

A mall has a roof over the entire shopping area. Stores' entrances are in long, wide corridors.

A shopping center's stores' entrances face outdoors. They open directly onto sidewalks and parking lots. We also call them strip malls.

So the only difference I know of is how we spell center.

The outdoor type of mall GoesStation mentioned doesn't exist in my part of the country. I visited one in the state of Ohio. GS is right. It was an artificial village.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A mall has a roof over the entire shopping area. Stores' entrances are in long, wide corridors.

Not the recently-fashionable kind I mentioned.
The outdoor type of mall GoesStation mentioned doesn't exist in my part of the country. I visited one in the state of Ohio. GS is right. It was an artificial village.

Although the nearest of the new-ish artificial village-type malls to my home is in Ohio, the first one I visited was nearer to your home: it was in Hartford, Connecticut, less than 150 miles from the Maine border. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not the recently-fashionable kind I mentioned.

Although the nearest of the new-ish artificial village-type malls to my home is in Ohio, the first one I visited was nearer to your home: it was in Hartford, Connecticut, less than 150 miles from the Maine border. :)

Here's the one I went to in Ohio:

http://www.shopleviscommons.com

Mainers would laugh if they heard someone call Hartford "near." It's way down in SOUTHERN New England!

Actually, I was at a concert a while back, and the singer got a huge laugh (intentionally) when she said, "I have a friend from up here. In Providence!"

I was in a supermarket line here once. The woman in front of me knew the cashier, so they were gabbing. The cashier asked about a mutual friend she hadn't seen in a long time. The customer said, Oh, she moved down south."

The cashier asked where, and the customer said, "Pennsylvania!"

I usually don't use the words "cool" and "mall" in the same sentence, but the Grand Avenue in Milwaukee comes close. They put a glass roof over the back alleys of two city blocks and turned the space behind all the buildings into storefronts, with walking galleries going up several stories:

attachment.php

Attachments

• grand-avenue-mall-13.jpg
    grand-avenue-mall-13.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 16

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What about in the UK? Don't they have any difference between "shopping mall" and "shopping centre"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, they're all called shopping centres, whether they have a roof or not. The word "mall" is, for us, American English.

Status
Not open for further replies.