Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do you have any rule in pronunciation which says: if in a word we have a consonant letter between two vowels like "nature" the first vowel is usually pronounced like its name in alphabet, for example the letter "a" in "nature" is pronounced "ey" which is the pronunciation of "a" in alphabet.
Thanks,
Ata

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you have any rule in pronunciation which says: if in a word we have a consonant letter between two vowels like "nature" the first vowel is usually pronounced like its name in alphabet, for example the letter "a" in "nature" is pronounced "ey" which is the pronunciation of "a" in alphabet.
Thanks,
Ata
Atabitaraf, I don't think it's a rule worthy of your attention. It's not a completely wrong rule but it won't help you learn to pronounce English words correctly. The word "usually" in this rule is very vague. How often is it?

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Atabitaraf, I don't think it's a rule worthy of your attention. It's not a completely wrong rule but it won't help you learn to pronounce English words correctly. The word "usually" in this rule is very vague. How often is it?
We have a rule which says for one syllable words if the last vowel is long so there should be one "e" at the end of the word say (make, lake, etc) but if the last vowel is small there shouldn't be such "e" say (big, rig, fig, lack, etc)
The word "usually" is one of the confirming examples of the first dubious rule I mentioned because the first u is pronounced "yu" like its name in alphabet.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about unimportant?

atabitaraf

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How about "rule"? :)
I think there is no rule in pronunciation which works without an exception but it should work most of the time, although your finding is appreciable.
My question is that have you ever seen any of these rules I've mentioned so far?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think there is no rule in pronunciation which works without an exception but it should work most of the time, although your finding is appreciable.
My question is that have you ever seen any of these rules I've mentioned so far?
I have seen similar rules, yes. But, as I said, I doubt their utility. What is the use of such a rule for a learner? If a rule has just a couple of exceptions, it can be useful. This rule seems impossible to be simple and reliable at the same time, however you will phrase it.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks,
Ata
No, it's impossible. If you give 'nature', I can give 'mature', in which the /a/ is pronounced differently, as a schwa. I agree with the others - forget it.

But, the rule about "bit" being short and "bite" being long is a good one, as a guide.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
Thanks,
Ata

If you add the element of stress, you can come up with rules. Without stress, it is all wild west.

'na-ture (ay)
ma-'ture (schwa)
litera-,ture (schwa)
tempera-,ture (schwa)

If you got aCture pattern, you hear CAT vowel

'frac-ture
de;'par-ture

Status
Not open for further replies.