Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"I recently witnessed someone disposing of her recyclable materials in one bin and her garbage in another. It's not hard. But to keep the country clean from debris, this kind of care and attention is required from everybody."

Would you use debris or litter in this context?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Definitely litter, if for no better reason than a lot of people will have no idea what debris means.

If they take the trouble to look it up they'll find it usually refers to building rubble or rocky fragments which they don't commonly throw away on a daily basis.

Rover

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Definitely litter, if for no better reason than a lot of people will have no idea what debris means.

Rover

I wouldn't be refering to disposable bottles or garbage either. I would use "debris" if I were talking about a construction site or factory in terms of small fragments of something bigger?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wouldn't be refering to disposable bottles or garbage either. I would use "debris" if I were talking about a construction site or factory in terms of small fragments of something bigger?

In a construction site I would say 'rubble'.The main use I've heard for 'debris' - in Br English - is in the context of outer space!

Note, on the subject of this word, the Br Eng pronunciation is /'debri:/. I'm not sure of the phonemes in Am Eng, but the stress is on the second syllable.

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
In a construction site I would say 'rubble'.The main use I've heard for 'debris' - in Br English - is in the context of outer space!

Note, on the subject of this word, the Br Eng pronunciation is /'debri:/. I'm not sure of the phonemes in Am Eng, but the stress is on the second syllable.

b
That's what Merriam-Webster's dictionary says "the second syllable".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's what Merriam-Webster's dictionary says "the second syllable".
So, the American MW agrees with Bob about AmE. It must be right.
The Longman Pronunciation Dictionary 83% agrees with Bob about BrE, so it must be 83% right. ;-)

According to LPD polls, 83% of speakers of Br stress the first syllable, 17% the second. Interestingly c. 95% of older speakers of BrE stress the first syllable, but only c. 77% of younger speakers, suggesting that eventually we will all place the stress on the second syllable.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
83%'ll do for me ;-) I agree that a lot of American English traits are coming into Br Eng via younger speakers, but I think it's an oversimplification to say* 'We'll all end up speaking Am. English'. What we all end up speaking will be something widely understood, but there'll be strong regional variations - as there always are with a widely spoken language.

b

PS Re-reading this I see that it could be thought that I'm accusing Jed of making this oversimplification. What I meant was that people who say things like that (and there are some) are oversimplifying

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.