Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
Hi!

I have to write an academic essay (around 8pages) and I have came up with three topics: purpose of death penalty and its effectiveness in deterring crime? , homosexuality is not a choice? and reasons of teen pregnancy. Which one would you prefer? or which one do you think is more suitable for an academic essay? I know these topics are somewhat restrictive but my lector told me that the essay should not be merely descriptive. And that I should be making an argument...
Am I on the right way?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi!

I have to write an academic essay (around 8 pages) and I have [STRIKE]came[/STRIKE] come up with three topics:
1. The purpose of the death penalty and its effectiveness in deterring crime. (No question mark here. It is not a question.)
2. Homosexuality is not a choice. (No question mark here. It is not a question.)

3. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] The reasons [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] for teen pregnancy.

Which one would you prefer? [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] Which one do you think is more suitable for an academic essay? I know these topics are somewhat restrictive but my lector told me that the essay should not be merely descriptive and that I should be making an argument.
Am I on the right [strike]way[/strike] track?

I agree with your lecturer that many good essays are based on an argument/debate. I would be far more interested in reading an essay which gives at least two different viewpoints, shows an understanding of both/all sides but makes it clear which opinion is that of the writer and argues that viewpoint well.

I don't think it matters which topic we would prefer. You need to choose the one which you find most interesting and engaging and the one which you will be able to write the most convincingly about.

Edit: I apologise for the bizarre formatting of the quote. I have been trying to fix it for over 5 minutes and getting nowhere.

Last edited:

ladyTL

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden

I agree with your lecturer that many good essays are based on an argument/debate. I would be far more interested in reading an essay which gives at least two different viewpoints, shows an understanding of both/all sides but makes it clear which opinion is that of the writer and argues that viewpoint well.

I don't think it matters which topic we would prefer. You need to choose the one which you find most interesting and engaging and the one which you will be able to write the most convincingly about.

Edit: I apologise for the bizarre formatting of the quote. I have been trying to fix it for over 5 minutes and getting nowhere.

Thank you for the reply!
So you mean that all three can work as a topic?

Status
Not open for further replies.