Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
We may take an exam. If we get enough points to go on to the next level we say that we passed an exam. My question woud be, "Is it possible to say "passed an exam successfully" ?". For me If a person passed an exam it's already successful. If I wanted to know how well the person did on the exam, I would say something like "Did you ace it?", "What mark did you get?'' or just "How well did you do on the exam"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: yes. This is a faux ami in French, as passer un examen does not equal 'pass an exam'.

If you pass well, you pass 'easily'/'with distinction'/'hands down'/'with flying colours...' (I had to get a nautical metaphor in there - there's usually one, if you look hard enough! ;-))

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Afterthought: use one or the other: 'pass an exam' or 'be successful in an exam'.

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Afterthought: use one or the other: 'pass an exam' or 'be successful in an exam'.

b

We can say "I took an exam and passed it successfully." OK? "I'm psaaing an exam." Wrong?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
We can say "I took an exam and passed it successfully." OK?No "I'm [STRIKE]psaaing [/STRIKE]passing an exam." Wrong? Yes
You can either pass an exam or fail an exam. If you pass, you are successful; if you fail, you are not successful. Hence, to say that you passed successfully is just being repetitious. BobK has given you the options in his posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.