Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi, very difficult for me to catch up Robert Downey's voice-over in the above clip:

I can only catch up words: head cocked left, partial deafness in ear: first point of attack. Two: throat; xxxx . Three: a heavy drinker, floating rib to the liver. Four: finally xxx left leg, fist to patella. xxx prognosis: unconscious in ninety seconds, xxxx efficacy xxxx. xxxx recovery: unlikely [xxx represents I cant pick up]

Would like to know if a native speaker is supposed to catch-up every single word from Robert in this clip? I would like to see if it's my incapability or even English speaking natives may have problem in catching up Robert's words in this clip.

Look forward to your feedback
Regards

Anthony

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I couldn't get all of it- it's fast and not very clear, but the general idea is enough. I'd say you did extremely well to get that much. ;-)

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

If you're interested, here's everything he said:

Head cocked to the left, partial deafness in ear...First point of attack....2, throat, paralyze vocal cords, stop screaming......3, got to be heavy drinker, floating rib to the liver.....4, finally, grab left leg, fist to patella.....summary prognosis: conscious in ninety seconds, martial efficacy: quarter of an hour at best, full faculty recovery: unlikely

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Out of curiosity, Vic, did you do that with your ears or your friend Google? If ears, how many listens? ;-)

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Got most of it in the first listen, but I had to play it back a couple of times while I was typing to make sure I wasn't missing any words. "Grab" was the hardest to make out. I thought he said "drag" at first.

This would make for a difficult listening passage.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I listened once and didn't get everything and thought it might take a couple more plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.